Chinchilla squeaks

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddykay

My female chinchilla is making tons of squeaking noises at night. She is kept in my bedroom and right when I shut the lights off she started making a very fast, repeating squeaking noise followed by a very low and slow squeaking. She has never made this noise before. I checked on her to make sure she wasn't hurt or anything and she didn't appear to be. When I was at her cage petting her, she stopped squeaking and enjoyed the pets. I've gotten up about every 15 mins to check on her and I've repeated the process about 5 times. Help!! I feel like she's trying to tell me something ):

Her diet, drinking, exercise and bathroom habits are all good and normal.

They are probably "contact" noises.

She's wondering where abouts you are, and asking for your attention!

One of my chins makes what sounds to be a very similar noise to this EVERY night after the lights go off, he's usually just asking for attention!

As long as consumption, weight, and behavior is normal, it's totally healthy. Some chins are more vocal than others - one of my boys Muff is a full time singer/occasional screamer, it's just part of his personality and seriously hilarious (he lives alone, so any alarm sounds he makes is merely for effect and not because he's in any danger). He developed his 'voice' a year into ownership, and I've noticed some of my other chins practicing their sounds at varying degrees over time, so it can happen at any time in your relationship. Just enjoy the cuteness!

The squeaking only happened that one night, and I think you guys were right! She just wanted some love from her mama <3

Back