Is something wrong with my baby hedgie?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktbb5135

Okay, so I just got a baby hedgie on Sunday afternoon. I brought her home, got her a fairly good sized tupperware container for her size, and filled it with her stuff. Originally, I had a fleece blanket in there as the bedding, but last night I switched it out for a different kind of bedding that was approved by the woman I bought her from. Anyway, she has a wheel in there, and a food and water bowl, and a small pan for litter, along with one of my beanies and a shirt to sleep in. I keep the temperature between 74 and 78 degrees most of the time. And she's been seeming to do pretty good. She is quilling, so her skin is sensitive, and she always spikes up and is a very huffy little thing. But also she is very scared and nervous a lot of the time. Since I've gotten her, she has been sleeping during the day but then been very active during the night. I hear her on her wheel and eating all through the night. However, last night, she didn't wake up on her own once. I woke her up around 8:30 to kind of get her awake for the night, and she was active when I had her out, but then when I put her back in her cage, she ate and then went to sleep. I tried to wake her up again two hours later, and she ate, but then went back to sleep. Finally, when I woke up at 4:30, I woke her up again and she just kinda sat there. So I put her on her wheel, and she was on her wheel for a good 15-20 minutes, and then I heard her shuffling around, but then I think she went back to sleep. Is this normal? I took her out two or three times yesterday during the day, so maybe she was extra tired from that? I'm very very worried about her trying to hibernate, and I'm worried that I've done something wrong or am not doing something right, and that she is sick or unhappy or something. Is it normal for her to be sleeping so much and to not want to wake up and be active at night? I was just wondering if there's anything I'm missing or doing wrong or should be doing too. Anyway, thank you so much in advance for your help!

I don't believe she's sick at all! She seems to be doing just fine for just bringing her home. When I first brought my little guy home it took him about a week to finally feel comfortable in his new home and to get on a set schedule of sleeping and exercising. But don't worry about her sleeping a lot, that is one thing that hedgies do best. If she continues to act like this for a longer period of time, I would start to get worried, but other than that I think she's just fine!

Back