Please help chinchilla was attacked

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay I am seriously trying to figure out this website, I just made an account today. My chinchillas were accidentally put together, I have had them for years and knew they didn’t like each other but 2 nights ago they got to each other and joy beat up pippi. She is missing almost all of her fur and has a bunch of bite marks over her skin. I didn’t think it was that bad and now she isn’t on painkillers and antibiotics but she isn’t normally really hyper and she is not moving a lot, she is breathing pretty heavy, has a wet belly, shivers every time she breaths, avoids opening her eyes, and looks fairly uncomfortable, and won’t go to the water bottle or food dish herself, however if I bring them to her she will take a little bitty drink and eat a small piece of oat or apple, not near enough though. I am really scared, what should I do?

Take her to a chinchilla specializing in chinchillas.With that extent of injuries it's very possible she could be in shock. At the very least experienced vet can treat her wounds/meds/antiobiotics if needed. She may still be seriously injured. Urgent visit is required if is to have a chance at recovering.Prayers

And she Is normally hyper. I don't know what I can do to help, she just looks really scared and low energy levels. She shakes like she is being electrocuted every time I put her cream on or pick her up

As said I would get her to the vet now, if she is still alive. The problem with chin bites is that they have long teeth, so you are dealing with puncture wounds so they can be far worse then they look and trap bacteria deep inside.

Even with pain management and antibiotics, and depending on the meds, there is a good chance you will need to force feed her. I don't mean giving her junk food/treats (oats and apples, ect), you need to get some meal replacement like Critical Care, but in a pinch you can try just crushing up her pellets with some water and syringe feed her that. You want to get around 50-100 ml/cc (depending on her weight) of food in her a day if she isn't eating. Divide the feedings up so you are giving about 10ml of food per feeding, obviously if she will take more give her more. When hand fed you are already providing the water in with the food so don't worry too much about her not drinking water on her own from her water bottle.

(Just so you know, I see you posted several times, new members posts (for the first dozen +/-) need to be approved by a human moderator before they are up on the forum. It helps to filter out spam. They are normally pretty quick, but it can sometimes take a day or so, they do have lives.)

I had a male attacked last year pretty bad from a female. I put neosporin on his wound (bad idea), metacam and antibiotics, hand fed. I went to the vet a week later he said if I would have brought him in when it happened it could have sewn one of the wounds since it was deep. He said otherwise to keep his wounds clean with a antiseptic cleanser, keep him on metacam & antibiotics. We came home gave him 2 wet baths and blow dried him to get the neosporin out of him. I left him alone otherwise he would just lay, sit in his house. Today, his fur doesn't look great but hen's back in breeding. I do see him cuddle up with the 3 females.

Back