Mazuri Hedgehog Diet?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

stormyhogs

I just got back from the vets, my vet said that I should not be feeding cat food, that the protein content is too high and will cause eventual kidney failure. She said I should be feeding Mazuri Hedgehog Diet - basically she made me feel like I was slowly killing my hedgehogs because I'm not feeding this food. What are your opinions on this food? Thanks.

I had the vet say the same thing to me. She was a reall good vet and all but somethings should be left to people who get to see the long term affects not just whats wrong with them at the moment if that makes any sence. I dont mean to affened any vets or anything out there. Although it help that Dante absolutley hated the stuff. He wouldnt even get near it. He loves his cat food, mealworms, and carrots and thats about it. Plus I get my mix of cat food from a breeder that i trust. Since I dont see the money saved by buyin three or four bags of cat food for just one hedgehog. I think it all depends on your hedgehog. Although I thought I read it somewhere that mazuris causes cancer.... I dont know I think someone here told me that once. I might be wrong though

We tried that in our hedgehog mix a few years ago and NONE of mine would touch it at all. Good luck if you decide to try it. I know that a lot of vets are against cat food for hedgehogs, we've run into it a few times before.

The reason a mix is recommended is so if something happens to disrupt the supply of that food, you don't have to suddenly change their food - many hedgehogs are picky and don't respond well to food change, and you may end up with hedgehogs on food strike, and have to syringe-feed them. If you do insist on feeding only one food though, I would not make it a hedgehog food at all. Most of them are mediocre at best, and harmful at worst. Either way, they're usually only okay in a mix, since the ingredients aren't great. If you're going to stick with one food, I'd suggest a good cat food - Blue Buffalo, Innova, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul, Solid Gold, Natural Balance, etc. The ingredients are much healthier and safer.

Back