how much is enough

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rita123

does anyone weigh their food out for their hogs.
not sure how much is enough. she has always eaten all the food that i have given her. she has chicken, sweetcorn and her cat biscuits all soaked in hot water and she always eats the lot. is this to much. she is about 11 weeks old.
i do have a small bowl with dry cat food left in her house but she does not touch the dry food.

I weigh out the amount of kibble that I give to my quillkids each night. It helps me get a sense of how much they've eaten by the amount that's left behind. For example, I weigh out 10g for Bella. She typically leaves at least half behind, so I know I'm not limiting her intake by the amount of food that I place out for her.

But I don't weigh anything else - like mealies, waxies, baby food, treats, etc...

One of the things to consider with only feeding wet food is dental care. A benefit of the hard food is that it helps clean their teeth. However, maybe there's an issue that causes your little one to only want to eat soft food - like a lose tooth, broken tooth, underbite, etc... Or, of course, hedgie just prefers soft food. Take a good look at your little one's teeth and go from there.

I give 2 teaspoons of cat food with some insects,fruit/veg or meat, I do also soak the cat food slightly as the biscuits seem quite hard/big for my hedgehog. But only a slight soak to soften a bit :)

Sent from my KIW-L21 using Tapatalk

Back