Mealworms

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susiandfilbert

New Mommy
Hi all,

I recently went to buy my first batch of meal worms for Filbert but when I arrived at the shop and saw the small plastic containers I saw a few beetles in there with them, I hesitated and in the end walked out empty handed. Does this mean that the worms are not being properly refrigerated? I read somewhere that If you don't want to feed beetles then the worms should be kept well refrigerated.
I know hedgies can eat both but it just didn't seem 'ok' to me.
Would someone be kind enough to let me know their opinion on this?
I don't want to feed Filbert anything but the best.
Cheers!

I'd have the same reaction as you: knowing that beetles are fine for hedgies in general, but if the container is labeled "mealies" and you're not seeing mealies, something's gone awry and I wouldn't buy.

In the end, the beetles might be just fine and reflect a small harmless "oops." But might it could also be a small sign that the establishment has bigger issues. I tend toward being rather protective and risk-averse with my little ones.

I know this was posted a while ago but I wouldn't class this an an issue. I breed mealworms (there's nothing to it really) just let the mealies turn into aliens (crysilis) then into beetles, they will lay eggs and you can gut loads all the bugs so you know they are getting the best nutrition to pass onto your hogs.

I keep my mealies in a plastic faunarium with a deep substrate (which is also their food) of oats and bran. Feed slices of vege and vege leaves supplemented with calcium and vitamins (I also use these for my toads from time to time). Remove dead insects and old food as needed then I always some availible in different life stages to feed, simples.

I also have my own Mealworm farm I found that since I have hedgies and sugar gliders that it is cheaper to have a farm then buying worms all the time. the farm is fairly simple to maintain.

No Issues

I also breed mealworms and this is not an issue. The only reason mealworms need to be refrigerated is to put them into a kind of hibernation. This slows down their growing so they will take longer to pupate. Once you get them you can keep them in the refrigerator so they will not pupate and turn into beetles.

Back