Baby won't eat

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xBellonax

Any suggestions on how to get my 10 week old baby, Meeko, to eat? I brought him home on Saturday and he won't eat anything for me..not even the kibble! I've tried unspiced pumpkin and chicken sweet potato and pea brown rice baby food too, with no luck! The only thing he has eaten is mealworms...about 12 of them. How long until I should syringe feed or visit the vet?

My previous hedgehog would eat anything so I have no experience with picky eaters!

I had a really great post typed up but my iPad signed me out before I could post it...so I'm sorry if this is missing details.

Well, Meeko is down 10 grams as of this morning. Last night my husband and I syringe fed a little baby food to make sure there were no mouth issues. I don't know what to do. Today I am feeling like a bad hedgie mom AND chin mom. Ughh I just can't get this!

Tried wet cat food, crickets, a super worm, unspiced chicken and eggs today. No luck. I guess I'm not cut out for this or he just doesn't like me...idk :(

This happens a lot when babies come home. Keep trying to syringe feed because he needs to eat. I would recommend a vet visit to rule out any illnesses. Another common thing with hedgehogs is something commonly called the 7 day infection, because after a big change it is common for the little ones to get a cold. The vet will also have some food suggestion like hills A/D or carnivore care.

My Luna went on a hunger strike off and on for months. She loved carnivore care, it was the only thing she would eat most of the time. Finally I gave her Fromm kibble and she loves that.

You're not a bad hedgie mom, I promise.

Back