hedgie treats

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcw142

I recently bought my hedgie yogurt chips sold at the pet store, the employee argued with me about several snacks a hedgehog could have (which quite frankly she doesn't do much research) She said her hedgehogs have yogurt chips frequently. I'm skeptical about the yogurt chips due to the sugar content and artificial flavoring...are the yogurt chips okay for a hedgehog diet ?!

Also, Milo isn't too keen on trying new things. He doesn't each many foods I offer him. He took one bite out of one of the many foods I offered to him and was done, is this normal!?

I wouldn't give yogurt chips to him for the same reasons you mentioned. Most pre-packaged treats you can buy from the pet store are similarly bad. And some are downright dangerous -- like anything with raisins, seeds, or nuts.

I'd suggest giving him healthy treats like fruit and veggies that you might eat, but cut up into little bits for him: apples, pears, watermelon (really, any kind of melon), strawberries, bananas, peas, squash, etc... Check the sticky for good vs dangerous fruits and veggies (hint: grapes are dangerous - cause renal failure in hedgies).

It's great that he's sampling things - even if he does't make it all the way through. Provided it isn't something that will spoil overnight, you can always leave the treats in a little dish near his staple kibbles.

On the meat side of things, mealies are great. Live; not freeze dried. The freeze dried can be dangerous. You can offer wet cat food and meat baby food on occasion.

Back