Food Help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belabun

Hello, I'm new to owning Hedgehogs so I need help on their diets!
Right now, I am currently looking at Blue Buffalo and Halo Spot foods. But as I looked through Petco's online food choices for those brands, all I get are foods for adults. The Hedgehog that I'm getting is only 3 months old. Is it okay to feed it adult foods? And what flavors would you guys recommend for those two brands? And what other brands would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

It is fine to feed adult food. You don't want too much fat in their diet. I am not sure on flavors but chicken has always bee a favorite here!

Agreed, the adult formulations will be fine for a 3-month old.

Blue Buffalo and Spot's are great.

Other reputable brands enjoyed by hedgies include Fromm, Wellness, Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken, Natural Balance, and Now! <-- "Now!" actually has an exclamation point in the product name -- I wasn't attempting to be extra enthusiastic with the punctuation. Innova made the list of good things until recently; however, they've been issuing recall after recall after recall... I'd suggest staying clear of that one.

Every hedgie is different in terms of what their favorite flavor is. Mine have enjoyed duck, turkey, chicken, and lamb. Miss Satin, in particular loved the Solid Gold (lamb) while Bella turns up her little nose at it.

Those brands are good brands. Sonics mix is Authority Adult hairball & weight control, Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken and Simply Nourish indoor turkey & oatmeal. Sprinkles mix is Canyon creek ranch chicken & brown rice, Authority kitten- chicken, Purina One indoor advantage and iams prohealth kitten. The reason why they have a different mix is that Sonic is older and is not a big runner, Sprinkles is 6 mths old and she is a big runner. I use to have Innova in Sonics mix but since the recall I took it out and replaced it.

Back