Picky Hedgehog

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinypixiexoxo

Izzie Dizzy Minuit Pappy
Izzie is 3 years old, and has never eating a fresh piece veggie or fruit. She also rejects hard boiled eggs, and any other treat or food that is not an insect or cat food.

I had to buy her cat food high in fiber to ensure she was getting enough fiber.

Will she be okay? Is she missing anything in her diet due to this preference?

How can I encourage her to try new things?

Thank you :)

If she's made it to 3yo on a diet of kibble and insects, she should be alright :) Although it's believed to be best to have a more rounded diet, there are a number of hedgies out there who will only eat kibbs and bugs who have been alright. Just ensure that her kibble is of a high quality and she's getting her mealies.

I would keep trying new foods just in case one day, she decides that she would like to try them. I'd probably choose foods that I'd eat as well so it doesn't seem like much of a waste. I'd also try things that are small and will keep for a bit - like baby food. You're supposed to use them within 2-days of opening, so I figure there are a few opportunities in each jar. Maybe start off with a plain chicken or turkey to see if she'll go for it. Then get a touch adventuresome and try the mixed meat & veggie type. You might also try Spot's Stew wet cat food. You can get it in the little tiny cans and it has veggies mixed in that she might just "accidentally" eat.

thanks! I will try the baby food. I think I tried it a year or so ago and she tried it. I can't remember which one it was, but I do recall the rest went to waste. Although, I myself enjoy babyfood haha!

Back