Food help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not terribly good. But it also won't outright kill her like some foods out there.

I would change it... slowly. If I'm recalling correctly, she's been with you about a week? If that's the case, you can start adding in a little bit of a higher quality cat kibble. You'll want to aim for about 1/4 new food and 3/4 Iams for a week before increasing the amount of new food to old.

Some people will choose to stop there; ie, 50% high quality kibble to 50% less good food.

Personally, I'd find a second high quality food then start replacing the Iams... something like:
Week 1: 25% new high quality food #1 and 75% Iams
Week 2: 50% new high quality food #1 and 50% Iams
Week 3: 50% new high quality food #1, 25% new high quality food #2, and 25% Iams
Week 4: 50% new high quality food #1 and 50% new high quality food #2

Lots of people will stop there. And that's a pretty decent place to stop. I add in a third kibble. I like that because if there's a problem with one (recalled, goes stale, runs out, hedgie's tastes change and they don't want it anymore, etc...) then I have two kibbles to fall back on.

I agree with you on the 3 kibble mix. One of my hedgies kibble mixes has innova in it and with the recall it would leave him with 2 kibbles. i am lucky that the bag i have was not in the batches recalled. but once I have to buy more food I am going to switch out the innova. I recommend to people to have a mix of a min. of 3 different brands.

Back