Do they ever refuse chew sticks?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trish57

Ok, I'm trying not to panic, but being a new chin mom of only 1 month, it's difficult.

Until now, the norm has been that I have to bring 2 sticks in simultaneously or they will both go after the first one in.

This morning JoJo refused an elm twiglet. I tried another one, still no. Last ditch effort, I figured if she doesn't go for the apple twig there may be something wrong. A big NO on the apple twig.

Note that they, or one of them, semi-demolished the stick part of a barbell last night. Daphne happily took an extra twiglet this morning, but I took the others out because I want to know who is chewing them.

Help!

Thanks,
Trish

1 month old chin! So young!

I’m sure someone else here will have more seasoned advice, but I don’t think you should worry too much. I find my chins normally go nuts for apple wood, but they have their off days. And it seems like if they know they’re going to get an apple twig everyday (and they do.), sometimes they’re not that fussed. It really depends on their mood/sleepiness! I find if one of them isn’t *that* into their apple stick, I’ll leave it in there, and certainly one of them will get back to the bark later.

Chins are moody little creatures… and I also think they enjoy variety when it comes to things to gnaw on.

is your chin one month old, or have you only had him for one month?

Chins can be picky some times. The only twig mine rly go for are apple. But they get tired of it sometimes too and dont bother with it. As long as they are still eating and drinking and havnt lost a good bit of weight, they should be fine.

I wouldn't worry about one day of not wanting a chew stick, as said chins can be moody. If they know they are getting a stick everyday, and after a month they should be getting into the routine, then getting a stick is not a special anymore it's expected. Also if they have other things in the cage to chew on, toys, shelves, etc, she may just be kinda chewed out when you gave the stick. I wouldn't start to worry unless it's goes on for days of refusing chew sticks and you don't see her chewing on anything else. Like Spodumena does, I just leave the extra chew sticks in the cage, someone will go back to them later.

Another thing to mention too is each chin has their own preference of what they like in a stick. Some like little twigs, others prefer thicker sticks, if they know they are getting a new ones everyday they realize they can afford to be choosy. I normally get my guys about half a dozen sticks everyday, and they pick and choose which ones they want first.

I have had them for a month - they are about 3 years old. They're rescues that I got from Barb at Mt. Zion.

I'm relieved to read the responses. This was the first time they didn't go bonkers for them. Daphne actually did and was happy to have the extra.

I gave her some crushed rosehips, and she did eat those. They were both sleeping when I went in the room, but sticks usually wake them up.

I bought some twiglets this time around because I thought JoJo was having a little difficulty hanging onto the larger ones. But I've come to think that would happen no matter what the size.

I don't know how the heck I'm ever going to get to weigh them. They bolt to the back of the cage when I reach out for them. I was able to grab JoJo this morning when I thought there was a problem though. Bonding is coming along with her a little. She's had 3 paws on my shoulder. I don't know what happens when all fours are on me. Will she jump into the room? I better get some large appliance boxes to board up around the bed at least.

Iv had some that did the 3 paws on, one off thing. Still a bit hesitant.
Weighing can be a pain some times. I have to use a tall bucket/container type thing to set on the scale. Then set the chin inside that. Other wise they would bolt instantly. Granted they still try, but its easier to manage this way.

If also found that many of my chins dont like the larger sticks. The like the twigs and maybe twiglets.

All four paws came out on my shoulder this morning! She went past me to the ledge on the door, which I was holding from the bottom.

One of the problems with being able to weigh them is catching them. They are fast. And if I do happen to catch one, she's very leery of me for a while. I guess it will all take time. I don't get to spend that much time with them Monday through Thursday because of my work schedule, but Friday through Sunday they get more attention.

Interesting about the twigs. Rosehips are another issue. I got JoJo some crushed ones because she was dropping the whole ones, and planned on giving them to Daphne when the whole ones were gone. But Daphne inhales the crushed ones, as well as oats. I'm thinking her nickname will be Hoover. You can't even see her mouth move when she takes them in. LOL

I guess this is all a learning process.

Jealous of the 4 paws on the shoulder! Only one of mine will deign to jump into my hands. The other one will jump in and out super quick, and I think views me mostly as furniture/in the way in that situation.

I remember reading on here the suggestion of using the dust-house as a way to weigh them. So you would put the dustbath with the dust on a scale, hit the tare button to reset the scale, and then hope that the chin stays long enough in the dust-bath to get a semi-decent reading. I'm planning on trying this once I get a scale...

Back