Breeders!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earthlyrose

So this is not a BreeDING question as much as a breeDER question. I am about to drive my happy self to Alabama to pick up a kit. It seems that we are meeting in a possible parking lot. My question is, as a breeder, what do you feel is the proper way to sell your kits? Do you welcome potential buyers into your home? Or do you prefer to meet outside of your home for safety/personal reasons? In dogs, I feel it seems proper to meet at the breeders house, meet mom and dad, play with puppy, and then take it home. Does this go for chinchillas as well? Or is it a little more lax? Just wanted a breeder's opinion! Thanks in advanced!

Every person is a bit different. Some allow you into your home and others dont. Meeting the parents of your chin really doesnt matter unless you plan on breeding (personality isnt genetic). Just make sure your breeder is reputable. Look for one who is part of the organisations (mcba or ecbc) and or shows their chins. They should keep pedigrees and be happy to answer your questions.

I personally have let people come see the chin room and i have also met people outside of my house

To me, and this is just my opinion, it seems fishy to me to meet in a parking lot. I prefer people come to my home and see how they should be taken care of. I also have paper work that goes with each chin and I don't like doing it on the hood of a car. They also stay longer and ask more questions if they come to my home as opposed to meeting elsewhere. I like taking the time to answer those questions and teach them what they need to know. I don't believe in "Where's the money and here's the chin"

As a single woman who breeds chinchillas in my home, I no longer meet strangers in my home. With my previous setup, I allowed people to come as I had modified my garage into a chin room but at my new house, I haven't been able to build a barn yet so I don't feel comfortable bringing lots of people through my house to see my chins. I provide pictures and will meet somewhere public for my safety. Until I build something separate, that's just how it has to be.

I'm with Sumiko. I am often hesitant to have people I don't know come to my home for various reasons. I do still let them, but I try to make sure someone is here if I am having them come over, and I don't let them in the house where the chins are, just the barn. I have met plenty of people in parking lots and other places simply because I am so far out in the back of beyond that most people prefer to have me drive to meet them. I don't think it has anything to do with being a good/bad breeder or being part of an organization (which means squat, IMO). I think it has to do with safety and convenience.

Do you welcome potential buyers into your home?
Absolutely. I require people to come see/visit them in person before choosing one to take home. This allows me to screen them for potential allergies and to teach them how to properly handle the chins.

Or do you prefer to meet outside of your home for safety/personal reasons?
While I don't make as many sales as some of the larger breeders I have met 243 people since mid 2009 when I started keeping track. Never felt threatened and I do live alone. I have only had one person comment on it, most people assume I have a husband or boyfriend due to all the tools usually laying around and he just isn't home . LOL.

In dogs, I feel it seems proper to meet at the breeders house, meet mom and dad, play with puppy, and then take it home. Does this go for chinchillas as well?
Yes!! I can never tell how an individual chinchilla will take to a new person and sometimes they really surprise me. While I don't allow people into the barn unless they are interested in breeding I do let them play with all of the available babies of the same gender together in a playpen. The babies are weaned into big group cages in my house so they get used to everyday human activities.

Back