How to care for a hedgehog

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siould

I was given a hedgehog for my birthday and I have no idea how to care for it. I've been feeding him cooked pasta, chicken, soybeans and tuna in the morning. In the evening I give him chicken livers, cracked corn and cornmeal mixed with chicken fat. He is living in a two story chinchilla cage. I've put a heating bad on the bottom of the cage to keep him warm. I let him out daily to wander around in a guinea pig exercise pen. I've also been giving him live mealworms for treats. His cage is lined with Katee aspen bedding. He has a carbuncular play tube. I've also given him a nature's hideaway grass ball. I've started giving him crickets, grasshoppers, caterpillars, snails and superworms. He gets alfalfa and timothy hay to snack on during the day. He loves mealworms. They are his favorite thing in the world. He also likes superworms. I've also given him a super sleeper cozy hammock. On the bottom level of his cage he has a nature's hideaway grass hut, too. I've also given him some woven grass accessories. How am I doing? Yesterday was the first time I gave him a waxwork. I also mixed from chamomile and dried carrots in with his timothy hay. Once a week I will make him a meal out of ground chicken, beef blood, tuna, shrimp, crab, salmon and crickets. He gets mealworms as treats a few times a day. Twice a week I make him a slaw of beef blood, soy flour, corn flour and white corn flour. Three times a week I make him a slaw of soy flour, beef blood, egg powder, beet powder, cane molasses, ground mealworms and ground wax worms.

Back