Kismet, March 5, 2007 to October 21, 2011

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney

... and the Dynamic Duo!
Kismet was my pride and joy, my only hedgehog who wasn't a rescue in some capacity. I purchased her from Petcetera (bad me!) just a few weeks after Hemi died, as an 8-week old baby. When I saw her, I wasn't looking for a hedgehog. At that point, I was still so upset about Hemi's death that I didn't even want to THINK about bringing another hedgehog home. I had Cuda and he was all I needed. But I looked anyway and my eyes fell on tiny baby Kismet.

She was caged with a darker hedgehog and I was captivated. She fixed her bright red eyes on me and I couldn't help myself - I needed to hold her. A store associate handed her to me and I got the strangest feeling that I knew this hedgehog. She was familiar to me and I had no idea why. She gazed into my eyes as I was studying her and when I bent my face to nuzzle her nose, she very gently placed her paws on either side of my face. That was something Hemi used to do to me and it startled me.

Knowing full well that my parents would be very angry if I brought another pet home, I reluctantly gave her back to the store associate. Walking away from her tore at my heart and it was all I could do not to run back and take her with me. When I left the store, I was immediately on the phone to my mom and trying to figure how much trouble I would be in if I bought this tiny little creature. My mom said the worst possible thing to me at that moment, "You're an adult and you can make your own decisions." Oy.

Rather than buying her that instant, I decided to watch a movie. If she was still there when I got out of the movie, it would be fate and I'd have to take her home. Of course, I managed to pick the longest movie and by the time it ended, nearly 3 hours had elapsed. I ran back to the pet store and saw my little albino waiting, with her nose pressed against the glass. I went directly to the small animal section and a new associate greeted me.

"That albino in the window. I would like her."

"Are you sure?" she asked. "That hedgehog is nippy and jumpy. She scared someone enough this afternoon that they just walked out of here without a second glance."

I was positive, and I asked again that the hedgehog be taken out and handed to me. The associate donned some gloves and attempted to catch her from the cage. Kismet scurried away from her, burrowing as far into the corner as she could, hissing as loudly as she possibly could. Ignoring the 'Employees Only' sign, I walked back and held my hand out to her. Speaking softly, I introduced myself and within a few seconds, Kismet had crawled into my hand and that was that. I lifted her up to my face and once again, she placed her paws on either side of my nose and very gently licked the tip of my nose.

From that day on, Kismet was my hedgehog. I was her safety net and she was my muse. I did my best design work when she was on my lap and she was at her charming best when I was nearby. On weekend mornings, I'd take her into bed with me and doze while she snuggled against my chest,

For 4 years, she was completely healthy. Aside from a small tooth abscess, she was 100% healthy. Around her 4th birthday, she began to go blind and within a week, she was completely blind. But that never stopped her - as long as her cage remained in the same layout, she got around just as fast as ever.

Late on October 20, I noticed that she had a green tinge to her fur. She was sleeping in a green bag and I figured she had just annointed over the fabric and dyed herself. I gave her a bath and nail trim, but the green didn't seem to be fading. When I offered her food and water, she refused. Looking into her sightless eyes, I just KNEW that she was dying. Instead of rushing her around and trying to find an all-night vet, I opted to tuck her against my skin and cuddle her as long as she wanted. I ended up taking her into bed with me and we both fell asleep.

At midnight, I awoke to find her struggling to run around. She wanted to run, but she was far too weak. I held her against my cheek, stroking her face and telling her how much I loved her. I thanked her for all the years she gave me, and all the joy I felt at knowing her. I told her how special she was and how wonderful she was, and then I told her it was time to go.

I gave her one last kiss on her nose and she very gently licked the tip of mine. Seconds later, her eyes closed forever and my Diva Girl was gone.

It has been a few days now, and the pain just doesn't seem to be subsiding. I just cleaned her cage out tonight and cried the entire time. My heart hurts beyond belief and I still can't believe she is gone. Like Hemi, Cuda, Vette and Chance, Kismet owned a piece of my heart and soul. Without her, I have this incredible void in my life.

Rest in peace, my sweet Kismet. I'll love you forever and a day, and I'll never forget the hours, days, weeks, months and years we spent together. After Hemi died, you gave me back the joy in my life, and for that, I can never repay you. I love you so much, beyond belief.

Thank you, everyone. I appreciate the good thoughts. My heart still feels empty, but I'm trying to occupy myself with my other animals and some projects. I've already hatched a plan for a super cage (joining my pair of FN 142s) and enlisted my boyfriend to help... he'll find out soon enough. Mwahaha! A thread with pictures will follow...

Back