2 female introduction failed

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annalina44

Hello all, this is my first post. Also please note that I am not a native english speaker- so sorry in advance.

I have 2 girls ( Chinchi and Coco) ; one is about 1 year and 3 month and the other about 1 year- I bought the first in september at 6 months and then the other one about one month appart thinking it will be good for them to have company.

I thought they will get along till now, but I quite lost my hope.

They live in seperate cages, next to each other.Sometimes they spary urine on each other from the cage. If they are outside they will always chase each other and make noises, leave hair behind- does not seem friendly at all. Once tried to but them both in one cage- was a disaster.Once tried to switch cages, did not work so then get used to the other sent.
Recenty I read about the Smooshing method and thought to read first more about it and also try the Cage in Cage method first.

I put the dominante chinchilla - Coco in the small cage (which was a pet carrier -http://media.mediazs.com/bilder/pico/cuc/de/transport/9/800/65113_transportbox_pico_dsc6281_9.jpg ) and then in the big cage. Chinchi investigated the new situation and was sitting on the small cage , both trying to get to the other one. After only 5 minutes, Chinchi jumped of the small cage and when into her hidding place- then I noticed that she was bleeding form her toe. The result was that Coco bit her toe of.

I went to the vet and Chinchi is recovering , she received an antiseptic solution. Please advise if you have any other suggestions.

Now i completly lost any hope for both of them to ever get along. I think if i had used the smooshing method the injuries were now worst. What do you thing, should I just do not try it anymore?

It doesn't sound like they like each other, just like two humans, no two random chins are guaranteed to get along. Since blood has been drawn, the toe being bitten off, I would not allow farther contact. They may over time enjoy having another chin to chat with if the cages are in the same room, but that is as far as I would risk it. Since they are spraying though the cages I would put a barrier between the cages so they can't see each other or move the cages apart so they don't feel then need to defend their cages.

You can't make two chins get along, if they don't get along they can kill each other if you force them together.

Back