My chinchilla stinks

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBorgiaBull

Hi

I've had my youngest boy for about two years now. He's in a seperate cage to our oldest as they fought and it got awfully bloody. But anyway. Just recently, Baby has started to STINK like pee. It's so bad you can taste it in the back of your throat and when I go to work I sit at my desk and I can smell it on my clothing. He seems perfectly healthy - his poop is fine, he eats, he's drinking etc. Anyone got any ideas? Cause it's getting to the point of I'll have to sell him if it carries on.

Chins shouldn't stink, regardless of if they are male or female they should have no real odor. Is he sitting in his pee causing his butt to be pee stained? How often are you changing the cage? Also what are you using for bedding and is he litter trained?

With a male especially I would worry about urinary tract infection or blockage. Have you seen how he looks when peeing? If it hurts or is hard to pee he could be dribbling, getting pee everywhere. A vet visit is a good idea to rule out any issues.

Chins shouldn't stink, regardless of if they are male or female they should have no real odor. Is he sitting in his pee causing his butt to be pee stained? How often are you changing the cage? Also what are you using for bedding and is he litter trained?

With a male especially I would worry about urinary tract infection or blockage. Have you seen how he looks when peeing? If it hurts or is hard to pee he could be dribbling, getting pee everywhere. A vet visit is a good idea to rule out any issues.

His cage is very open, and we've noticed on the metal ledges where he's been being it's gotten rusted. He seems to have very acidic pee O_O We change him weekly, as we do with our other boy who's in a seperate cage. We're wondering if he's marking terratory despite them being in different cages? They're next to each other, but we never put them together as despite trying to introduce them they never got on. Baby chin is very much an alpha...

What kind of bedding are you using? If it's pine, you may need to spot clean daily the place he normally pees and replace with fresh shavings. You mentioned metal shelves. Are there any wood ones that need to be cleaned and sanded or replaced?

Back