Question about housing 3 chins together

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a new chin owner, but I am new to chin kits. A rescue male I've had for 4 years was supposedly castrated, but I bonded him with a female in January who unexpectedly produced kits last week.

I think I have a boy and girl but not entirely sure yet. I have yet to work through the many issues/problems this birth has raised. I know there are several options, but one idea is that I could keep the girl kit with mum and dad (if I get dad neutered). Would that work? I know you can't have 2 males and a female together.

That should be fine. Two females and a male should get along okay as long as there's no worry about dad impregnating his daughter.

if you indeed had a boy and a girl, you could just keep the boy with the male in a separate cage (if they get along), and the girl with mom.

if you indeed had a boy and a girl, you could just keep the boy with the male in a separate cage (if they get along), and the girl with mom.

Wouldn' the males fight if they can smell the females?
SAdly I don't have space for another cage.
As it is, I can't work out how to keep mum and dad separate and, when weaning, the kits separate too.

The rescue have been very apologetic and offered to neuter all/any of them for me.

Latest posts

Back