New Owner, Hedgie to Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosgarage57

Hi guys, this forum is like a heaven send. Unfortunately my hedgie Penelope passed away a week ago due to my heat lamp malfunctioning. EVERYONE CHECK THIERS PLEASE!!! She was taken way too soon from us.

I found a Chinny near me that the owner was getting rid of due to landlord not allowing it. So far I am in love. I keep comparing the two though, like, my Hedgie wouldn't just sit out in the open like this, is everything ok! ha.

Today was the first day with Zoey my Chinchilla, owners says shes 8 months old. Shes kinda skiddish so I'm not holding her, but we did let her out in a secure area to run around for an hour to get use to us. I understand it will take a lot of time to foster that trust relationship and I'm excited to see it bloom.

The cage that it came with is a 3 level cage but I feel it is a little small, plus it doesn't have a pull out tray so I have to take the whole cage off to vacuum and clean the cage.

Done a dust bath tonight and she enjoyed it, the food the previous owner used I don't like, so I'm ordering some more healthy food and going to slowly transition to it.

Is there anything I need to look for or start doing? I miss my ease and "slowness" of my hedgehog, Zoey is all over the place, they sure do like to hop :)

Welcome to the forum. So glad you could join. : )

I'm so sorry about Penelope.
It sounds like you are doing really well with your new chin, Zoey. A healthy diet, plenty of exercise and a large and clean enclosure are the best ways to keep her healthy. Over time she'll learn to trust you, though I think she'll always have more energy then a hedgehog. Just something about being a rodent and constant energy. : )

Best of luck with your new girl!

She's currently in a small cage but I ordered a critter nation double yesterday. Should be here tomorrow.

Sent from my LG G4

I'm so sorry for your loss, but welcome you to the forum.

We keep the house at 72 degrees in the summer and 69 in the winter. Do you think that's cold enough for her? If not I can put a portable a.c. unit in her room.

Sent from my LG G4

Back