Bedding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosgarage57

Good morning. I'm new to this whole thing so be kind :)

I just purchased a CN Double for my single Chin. I'm sure she's going to love all the room compared to the cage she currently has.

Does it have a pull out litter tray? It looks like the bottoms are mesh, if so then I need to put something over it correct? I read about BASS pan's and will probably order 1 (or 2?) of them.

I was thinking: Towels then fleece over it, with a glass baking dish in the corner with some Aspen so hopefully she'll go potty in it. I know with my Hedgie I could go a week and then wash all her bedding (towels, fleece, wheel) and put a new set down.

Does this should about right? Currently in the cage she has now the previous owner was just using puppy pads, and I don't like it.

All suggestions/criticisms are welcome. I just want the best for her.

The CN cage does not have mesh bottoms, it has bars that plastic pans sit on top of, the pans come out. The bar spacing on the "floor" is not safe for chins to be on, it would likely cause a broken leg. Bass pans are probably the best replacement for the plastic pans, chins shouldn't have access to plastic since they almost always eat it.

Fleece is only safe if the chin doesn't eat it, what they get in a little nibble should pass, but must more then that can cause a blockage. Most chins leave fleece alone though since it doesn't shred so is no fun. Some people use a towel as an absorbent layer, but I don't trust that myself, I just use more fleece. The puppy pads are dangerous if the chin has access to them, they contain harmful chemicals that shouldn't be ingested. If you decide to not go with the bass pans, or wait on it, I suggest getting pillow case style fleece pan covers, that way the plastic is not accessible.

If the chin is pee trained then once a week changing is fine, but not all chins want to be pee trained. My current two pee where ever they are, but most do pick a corner or corners to pee. Some chins also decide not to be potty trained anymore too. If not pee trained you need to change the fleece a couple times a week. In either case you need to vacuum or shake out the fleece about once a day to clean up the poops, chins can't be poop trained they just go all the time (about once a minute).

Thank you Amethyst. So I'll order Bass pan right now. Fleece is possibly a no then, so then I would need to use Aspen inside the Bass pan.

You can still use fleece. Lots of people do. You get it to go inside the pan.

Bass pans come in two different types of metal (you chose.) Steel and Stainless steel. I started with steel since back then it was the only option. But if your thinking of using litter right on top o fthe pan then take a look at this pic. The acidity of urine will eventually start eating through.

Tray_07_zps6e20db9b.jpg

So i personally dont recommend littering the whole bottom of those trays. I would use fleece or litter pans.

I only just recently bought a stainless steel pan so i cant comment on its long term effectiveness like the regular just yet. I can say that there stainless steel is made from a non-magnetic metal. (where as the regular steel is magnetic.) It might not seem like a big deal, but its something i noticed when i ordered my first fleece liners. They offered to sew little magnets underneath and they did not stick to the stainless steel. The did stick to the reg steel, but my girl picked it up and chewed them off anyway.

Tho maybe bass pans could make a stainless steel with magnetic metal if you wanted. They are decent about custom orders and requests. Im not sure if thats something they have available or not tho.

If you have a double CN then i would suggest getting two pans at once if you can afford it and want them. (Regular and a cut out.) Shipping is high on those kind of items. Would suck to pay it twice if you decide you want a second later.

Thanks so much. I ordered a single bottom steel pan. Oops. Shipping was almost as expensive as the pan was. I'm thinking fleece in the pans as I can wash them. If she starts eating the fleece then I'll switch to something else.

Sent from my LG G4

I have the bass pans in my three level critter nation cage and they are great! I use aspen, but I have also used fleece, but didn't care for it as a personal preference

Got the cage today and put it together. Very nice and BIG cage. In transition from the small cage and her playing she got out and we had to try to capture her for an hour. I hope all the headway we made with bonding these past couple of days aren't ruined now. I guess I'll go back to just seeing if she'll go into my hands. I'm not sure how I'm going to transport her from the cage to her safe space to play.

Sent from my LG G4

Thanks so much. I ordered a single bottom steel pan. Oops. Shipping was almost as expensive as the pan was. I'm thinking fleece in the pans as I can wash them. If she starts eating the fleece then I'll switch to something else.

Sent from my LG G4

That shipping is high indeed. You can also use both fleece and litter. In fact many ppl do. I just recently added fleece to mine as well and i still have my litter pans. If they use the pan its all the better. If not, then the fleece is there.

Back