head tilt..HELP!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrissy5472

Around 5 weeks ago I woke up to my 1 chinchilla Louis with his head tilted and flopping around his cage. We rushed him to the vet and they determined a deep inner ear infection.. He has been on antibiotics, an inflammatory/ pain med and antibiotic ear drops that we have been giving him 2 times a day since.. He had his check-up this past weds.. still goop coming out of his ear so we are continuing with the ear treatments... now he starts to run around a little bit but it's like he goes limp and just lays there...then we he tries to walk he's falling over and flopping on his side... what could be wrong? HELP PLEASE!!

From some veterinary sources it seems that a chin has an ear constructed much like humans with an outer, middle, and inner ear. The inner ear contains the organs for the vestibular system. Any disorder or infection in the inner ear can adversely affect balance and coordination.

I've been battling vestibular disease for years now and I can sympathize with your poor chinnie. Vertigo is one effect of problems in the inner ear and it's horrible to experience.

I would confine him to one level to prevent serious falls and try to keep him in a quiet place. Keep food, water, and hay easily accessible from his house or where ever he sleeps. Even after the infection clears up fluid can still remain that will cause vertigo and balance problems.

Last edited:
Back