New Chin / New Owner

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjlewis10

Before you start reading this I want to say sorry for the long post. So, last Friday we decided to get my daughter a Chin for her birthday. She turned 5 and wanted a guinea pig but I decided on the cuter Chinchilla. I want to add I do not let her try to grab him. I make her sit still and let him come to her...... This was kind of a spur of the moment thing but I did do a little research before I picked him up. I bought him from a local random guy who said he didn't have time to take care of him any more. The guy advised that he was 1 1/2 years old. He came with a cage and everything needed. The stuff and been chewed on and worn out plus I thought his cage was to small. We went to Petsmart and bought a new cage that is 19"W x 41"L x 24"H. We also got him some toys, lava ledges, and a wooden house. Pretty much the only thing we kept from his old cage was his Chinchiller stone.

When we let him out and about he would pretty much ignore everyone and do his own thing. He would come take hay or food out of your hand but would not let you touch him. He also seems to get scared when you talk to him while he is in a big open area. I let him run around in my living room and some in my bedroom. I felt that he doesn't interact with us very much when I do that so I decided to try the bathroom play time. Its more of a smaller space and he can't run around as much, but he is kind of forced to interact with us. I've done this everyday since last Saturday and I think he is beginning to trust me. He will walk across my lap and smell all over me. He won't really climb on my arms or hands and still doesn't like to be touched. He seems like it bothers him that his fur is messed up.

So, last night I was in the bathroom with him and I started rearranging his cage and he was super curious. Pretty much followed my hands around his cage to see what I was doing. One time I had my back turned towards him and he climbed up my back and sat on my shoulders. He also let me scratch his chin for about 15 secs last night. I've read to takes a bit to build their trust and build a bond but I've only had this dude for 6 days and he seems to be ok with me.

From what I said... Does it sound like he seems to trust me?

Also, last night he was making very feint "chirping" sounds while he was running around.... Does anyone know what that may symbolize?

I'd say he is starting to trust you. Should only get better with time. My guys make two kinda different little squeaks. The one we call a "moop" they make when happy and trying to interact. The other is quite angry sounding and short and usually means they are having difficulty moving stuff around in the cage. There is a chinchilla sound app for the phone that might help. I saw your other video as well and agree he is just trying to bath and wipe off the human germs a bit. My newest guy is the same and seems ticklish. I've had him three months now though and he doesn't do it as much.

Just thinking about the sneeze- if he does it while you are petting him it could be what the site usually calls kecking- it's just them saying no-don't do that. My older boy does it if you touch his hips. If they really don't like it they will move away.

Just thinking about the sneeze- if he does it while you are petting him it could be what the site usually calls kecking- it's just them saying no-don't do that. My older boy does it if you touch his hips. If they really don't like it they will move away.

Thanks for the replies. He does it after I'm done petting him. He has only done it twice. We were able to pet him a lot last night with out any noises.

if he is running over you, its a pretty good sign. Many times a chin that was just rehomed is going to be scared. They dont handle stress well and they are suddenly being put in a new environment, new cage, new ppl, new surroundings, new smells, new sounds, it can be quite stressful. Thats why a lot of ppl will let them be in there cage and not have any out time until they are better adjusted. Being out if they are already scared is only going to make things worse.

Fortunately, it sounds like your chin is taking it fairly well. But be carful about things like letting him run in a living room or bedroom. They can get into or under things that make it very hard to get them out. Also they are chewers by nature. Furniture, carpet, items, live wires.... anything they can get there teeth on; its only a matter of time until they do. And you dont want to be chasing him around to get him or get him out of something; that wont help his fear or your bonding any. And you most certainly dont want him chewing on a wire he found.

so happy he has a good home.

I cringe when I see how many little pets are on Craigslist.
Mine was also a re homing story.

Thanks guys..... The people who had him before me looked a little rough but it seems they took care of the little guy. He has been playing with us every day now and seems to still get scared at times but at the same time becoming our little buddy a little more each day.... I am so happy I bought the cute little creature! Now I just have to find a reliable cheap place to buy him some rose hips and other treats.... I don't like the pet store prices!

Back