My chin dont let me close to her

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capufox

Hello! I have a female chin from closely 2 years.. the problem is that she dont let me close to her. My little sister was teasing her before (now she doesn't).. Now maybe Capu hates me and she will never love me :cry3::cry3::cry3: Maybe my sister too... I remember how hard I asked my mom, and when finally got her- BAM! This... I really wanna pet who will love me, like on the hundred YT channels with happy chinchillas.. please help until its too late :( I dont wanna lost my chin :cry3:

:hmm: sounds like no chemistry between you and your chin. do you spend atleast 30mins everyday with him/her. :hmm:

well, right now I live with my father, and Capu is in mom's house so... but when I have time (I am really busy >o< ) I spend a little chin and teen time

I agree it really sounds like you haven't bonded with your chinchilla. Use these forums and search for bonding. A chinchilla takes a lot of time to bond with you, and will NEVER love you the way a cat or dog does. If that kind of love is what you are looking for I'm sorry, but you got the wrong pet. A chinchilla will bond to you slowly and it may never be a chinchilla that likes being picked up or held. The best you might get is the chinchilla climbs occasionally on you during out of cage time. You should be spending lots of time with your chinchilla, not necessarily out of cage time. Start by just reading or doing something that involves talking quietly by her cage. If you are doing out of cage time do not try to pick-up, cuddle, or hold her. Just sit as quietly and as still as you can. If you transport the chinchilla to another room for playtime use a carrier and lure her inside it. Do not touch her yet. This is important, because she doesn't trust you yet.

The last thing I want to add is that you need to have realistic expectations of your furry friend. Bonding will not happen in a night, a week, or even a month. It could be several months or years before you have the kind of bond you want. Also remember she may not be a cuddly chinchilla. Each chinchilla has its own personality and just because some will let people hold and cuddle them doesn't mean all of them will.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I want you to understand why she is still scared of you.

Chinchillas can be slow to trust, so as you said your sister was teasing her then it will take time once that stops for the chin to trust it's not going to happen again. So long as you spend time (at least an hour a day) with her she will learn you aren't a threat. You don't say how the chin was teased, but any negative treatment can take awhile to get over, months to years depending on the treatment. You say you had her for two years, but not how old she is, did she have a previous home where she could have also been mistreated before you got her? Also chins personalities play a large role in how they act too, some chins are cuddly and enjoy crawling all over their humans, where as some just don't like to be held at all and everything in between. Most chins actually don't like being held, they mostly like to hop around and on you rather then be held by you. Unfortunately youtube is a bad example of how chinchillas are, you get a very skewed view of chinchillas since people are only going to primarily post their outgoing and more friendly chins.

Mostly though it takes time and patients to earn a chinchilla's trust and love. They are also highly social animals so you really do need to spend a lot of time with them everyday to build and maintain a friendship, it's not something that happens overnight and they will get mad if you don't spend time with them.

If you do a search on the forum here you should find a lot of bonding techniques, like reading aloud to the chin, singing to her, talking to her, handing her treats (or hand feed food or hay) and twigs/sticks to chew, and just sitting with her. You generally need to spend time showing you aren't a threat and aren't going to just grab her or pester her every time she sees you or your sister. Also you have to go at the chin's pace, there is no way to fast track the bonding process.

Thank you guys! My chinchilla really loves hazelnutts (are they bad for her health? Please say no D: ) and I give her from my hand. She just gets it, she doesn't look nervious, scared etc. Is this good thing?

Back