Sad chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Littlenikki1256

So I am a new chinchilla owner. He is about roughly 6 months old, his name is gerald and I'd say hes a standard gray chinchilla. I've had him for a little over 2 months now. I took him for a vet visit about a week ago and they said hes a completely healthy young chin. Hes been pretty happy since hes gotten used to his surroundings but now he seems sad. He wont eat much and just lays in the corner of his cage. When I go up to him he gives me kisses an loves on me but he just looks sad. He also whimpers alot through the night. Is there anyway hes just lonely? Or maybe the vet didnt pick up on something through the original check-up? I know Chins hide there sickness very well so idk if it's that or he needs a friend?? I could just be overreacting but I'm worried about the little guy and I'll take any advice I can get!!!

My chinchilla seems sad. Idk if hes lonely or what but I'm worried about the little guy. Hes about 6 months old an very healthy the vet said and I've had him for a little over 2 months. He has a big sized cage. And plenty of things to keep him entertained. He had been super active and happy after getting used to his surroundings but now he seems sad an not eating as much. He just sits in the corner of his cage. I'll go over an pet him an he will give me kisses but he doesnt move. He also whimpers alot at night time. Hes used to his surroundings so I know it's not that. Could he just be lonely? Or should I take him back to the vet an find out if they just missed something in his check up?

My chinchilla has everything I could think of but seems sad. Maybe it's just me but he has been pretty happy an i just took him to the vet for a check up an they said hes completely healthy. Is he lonely or did the vet just not pick up on something wrong with him? Hes only 6 months old. An even though I've had him for 2 months he already gotten used to his surroundings an was pretty active an happy. I'm worrying about the little guy. Any suggestions?!?

Sounds to me like he's lonely and bored. If you can try to give him more attention during the day, until he's at least a year old he shouldn't have very much out of cage playtime (young chins can overexert themselves easily) but if you can just sit with him more, pet him and such, and also give him access to lots of toys - throw toys, hanging toys, wall mounted toys, whatever you can. Also different kinds of Hay are a good way to keep a chinchilla distracted, they should have unlimited Timothy hay but you can also throw in some Alfalfa or Oat Hay for him.

Back