Spiny- God, I miss you!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeanette

From Q to H
I've thought about this day and knew it would come.
I hate it! I want this feeling to go away and to have my little guy back.

Spiny went for surgery about a week ago.
They found that his vesicular glands (part of his reproductive system) were enlarged, inflamed and had hard spots.
These were taken out. But he succumbed to some complications after the surgery and died last night at the vet's house. My vet actually took him home with her so that she could monitor and feed my little guy.

My whole world is shattered and I feel like I'm dying.
Nothing can make this all better.

I just feel so helpless and it literally feels like someone hollowed out a part of my stomach (and my heart).

Please pray for his little hedgie soul.
-Jeanette

I am so sorry Jeanette. I had been praying for a good outcome for little Spiny. You did everything you could for him and he knew he was loved.
He has been met by many of my gang and they will show him the ropes over the bridge.

Love and hugs

So sorry to hear that, Jeanette. I know Spiny was so important to you, and his death must be incredibly hard. He was loved so much during his time here, and is making lots of new friends over the bridge. *hugs*

I am so sorry Jeanette! My heart sunk when I read this. You loved him so very much and he will be well taken care of on the other side.
Hugs!

Jeannette, I'm so sorry to hear that. Spiny's soul is in the best place possible now - the Rainbow Bridge with all of the other dearly missed hedgies.

I'm sorry for your loss Jeanette. You are right, it usually feels like it never will get better. It may never feel right, but it will get easier to deal with.

I know it doesn't really help deal with him not being there, but you did everything you could for him. He was well loved. These little guys always take a chunk of our hearts with them, but they leave behind a piece of themselves too. Leaving our hearts a bit of a mess.

I am so sorry Jeanette. I have always admired how you have placed Spiny's needs before your own. I have watched your stories for a long time now, and you represent everything that a hedgie Mother should be. I am sure Spiny knows that and will always be your little angel.

Thank you everyone. Your support means a lot to me.

I thought that I would be able to come on here today and not cry.
Actually, I don't think that I'll be able to do that for a long time.

He will always be a part of me.

What happened was during his annual check-up, my vet noticed two jagged lumps, side by side in his abdominal area. His white blood count was up, suggesting that he was fighting off an infection.

They went in and removed his seminal vesicles (part of his reproductive system) and found they were the source of the problem. Spiny continued to heal, but would not eat or drink. I had to take him back to the vet twice in 4 days so they could inject him with fluids and vitamins. The second time, they decided that it would be best to leave him at the hospital so that they could monitor him more closely. He died one week after his surgery. Upon completing the postmortem, the vet found that he was fighting an extensive infection that weakened his heart which eventually led to it stopping altogether. The vet actually took Spiny home the night that he died (before he died) so that she could keep an eye on him as there is no overnight staff at the hospital. She rushed him back to the hospital in the middle of the night, but by that time, he was already gone. It hurts to think that I wasn't even with him when he died.

During his initial checkup, his heart almost stopped. This was the first sign that something was wrong.

The vets at the hospital had all worked on Spiny at one time or another in his life. They sent flowers and offered to pay for his cremation. I think that this is so kind of them. The more experienced vet, (although not his regular vet) was the one who worked on Spiny and called me the night he passed. His regular vet also called me to send his condolences. They are amazing people.

The reason why I didn't post anything until now about his illness was that I only wanted this to be about him. I didn't want to overreact. Most of all, I wanted to be as private as possible. The thought of coming on here and announcing that there was something possibly wrong with him was just too much to bear.

Nancy helped me through her correspondence and that meant more to me than she will ever know.
Thank you to Nancy and to everyone. It feels like my life has been ripped apart. But you guys are helping to soften the blow.

Give your little guys and gals a nose-kiss for me tonight. Appreciate every second you have with them!

Back