Help! New chin introduction!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesskii

So I have two lovely chin boys and I've just adopted another boy (yesterday) that I hope will be able to live in the same cage as my two. He had a wander around the room today and stood up on his hind legs and sprayed me :S. I can't see any 'bits' and think this is actually a girl. If so could the girl live with my boys happily if spayed or would you guys recommend a separate cage?
Thanks so much, just really stressed out

Attachments

• 20150625_204628.jpg
    20150625_204628.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 27
If It's a girl, the boys might fight over her, so I have read. I'm constantly doing research to learn as much as possible, because I'm new Chin Parent. A friend of mine had a similar case like yours, she had 2 boys, and got a free chin that she was told it was a boy. They all got along fine, but weeks later she noticed the new chin had a belly, and popped out 2 baby chins later on, haha. You might wanna put a small cage in the big one, with the new chin in smaller, to test if they will get along. They will be able to smell each other, and meet, without contact or injury. Or you could have them meet in neutral territory, like in the living room, or bathroom, and break up a fight if one happens. Some chins... I read bond easy, and others... never bond, and need a whole diff. cage. Hope it works out for you. How big is your cage?

you can not house males and a female together. Multiple males will fight over a female, maybe even to the death. Also any male and females pairing is going to lead to kits which is not a good idea.

Look up some info on telling genders apart. For chinchillas it is actually a lot harder then other pets. And many ppl are often wrong. You can also post some pics of it here to get ppls opinions.

I also want to note that spaying is rather dangerous... You don't want to fix a chin just to cage it with others. It's not worth the risk and a spay is much more invasive than a neuter. They're tiny animals and a lot can go wrong, which is why you shouldn't spay/neuter unless there is a medical reason for doing so.

Many people say two males will fight if caged with a female, so I would advise against it. Even if you get her spayed and she ends up making a full recovery AND the males don't fight over her... Introducing a third chin often causes the existing pair to fight, regardless of gender, which means you may need three separate cages. I would keep her caged by herself, but that's just my opinion. I'd never attempt a same sex trio myself either, it's just not worth the stress.

While it would technically be possible most good vets will not spay without a medical condition calling for it. A lot of vets are also reluctant to neuter, but it is safer than a spay as a last resort.

I have a male and female pair. The male is neutered, but it was really hard on him and I almost lost him due to a secondary infection from pulling out stitches. Not to mention it broke the chinchillas bond when I had to separate them for neutering, so it defeated the purpose of neutering him.

The males will fight over her even if you spay her or neuter them. It only removes the ability to breed, not the desire. I would just keep them separate if the third is really a female. You can post pictures of her genitals on here and we can tell you if it is a girl or boy. When you take the pictures, put the chinchilla on the table facing away from you and hold it by the tail. Gently lift up until the back feet are suspended and take you picture.

Thank you all loads for your replies. Also posted on the facebook group and had this sorted by the time my post got approved, but I really appreciate the replies.

I've kept Bruno (renamed as Kupo!) in a seperate cage, and she seems really happy :). Had to get her a new cage (half he size of my boys cage unfortunately...they have space enough for 4!) because the one she came with was completely awful and I couldn't leave her in it. Here's a picture of a happy Kupo enjoying a treat and also one of my sleepy boys just for cuteness :D

Attachments

• DSC_0021.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0027.jpg
    DSC_0027.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 13
chins

Two female chins can live together if they were litter mates, if you can find a place to spay your female they can live together as long as they get introduced to each other in a slow non-stressful process. Try rubbing a little rasin that has been ripped open on their head, then put the female next to the males cage with the rain head. the males will be interested and want to know what she is, do this for about a week then you can start putting then together slowly.

hope this helps:)

I've kept Bruno (renamed as Kupo!) in a seperate cage, and she seems really happy :).

A white chin named kupo... that is awesome!

Moogle_by_NoodleThug.jpg

Two female chins can live together if they were litter mates, if you can find a place to spay your female they can live together as long as they get introduced to each other in a slow non-stressful process. Try rubbing a little rasin that has been ripped open on their head, then put the female next to the males cage with the rain head. the males will be interested and want to know what she is, do this for about a week then you can start putting then together slowly.

Chins don't have to be litter mates to live together. I breed in colonies and have five unrelated females living together peacefully. I also have five unrelated males living together peacefully. Some chins can live with other chins, some can't. Just depends on the chin, but being a litter mate has nothing to do with it.

Also, getting her spayed is not going to stop the males from fighting over her. Just because she can no longer get pregnant does not mean that the male drive to mate ends. Putting two males with a female in ANY situation is asking for a chin to be hurt or killed.

Thanks everyone!! They're all in the same room, and seem to be ok with each other for the minute, fingers crossed!

Godofgods - Glad someone got the reference haha, I think moogles are super cute, and little Kupo seems to be pretty adorable so I reckon it's a good match!

Sorry for the pic spam hahaa.

Attachments

• 20150708_223958.jpg
    20150708_223958.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Kupo.jpg
    Kupo.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 5
She is so pretty! Although your story makes me nervous to adopt from craigslist. I know I may end up doing it, just because the price is much better and also I want to give those chins a good home. I can't believe the amount of people selling a male-female pairs as if babies aren't even a possibility! In one case, two females and one male living together, one pregnant and the other "possibly" pregnant, all for around 200 dollars... oh and they have to go together because they are "bonded". If only I could convince my parents, I would take them. I feel so bad.

Oh no! That doesn't sound like a good owner at all! Can't believe people would do that :(. I do think it's a good idea to adopt though, my Kupo is more confident than my boys that I got from a breeder, just because her owners had more time for her than the breeder so she's be more used to people.

Back