Any Opinions On Charlie Chinchilla Food?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewToChins

I've been feeding my chinchilla Charlie Chinchilla food, but it seems less than ideal to me in terms of nutrition; I've been picking the raisins contained within out, but he still seems to be very selective with what he eats out of it. Any other brands/types you'd recommend?

It's one of the worst foods out there. Anything with treats and things mixed in is not good. You want a pellet-only feed. Good brands include Oxbow, Mazuri, Tradition, and some rabbit feeds such as Manna Pro.

I was also feeding my chin a very bad choice of food, Kaytee with dried fruit and crackers in it. When I switched his food to Oxbow he went nuts eating it out of my hand. He loves it. I had to slow switch it so he wouldn't get sick. Even the smell of Oxbow was so different, really yummy smelling.

I was feeding Kaytee fortidiet to my chinchillas and when I tried to slow switch to oxbow they decided to pick out all the Kaytee food and throw it on the floor. They decided within minutes that oxbow was the better food.

I used to feed mine these cheap pellets from a warehouse and they never ate much. They suddenly became moudly and I was unable to get more so I had to do a switch with only a bit mixed together and I switched them to selective. Now i have to add more food twice a day now lol they love it

I would strongly advise not using Charlie Chinchilla. Chinchillas are selective feeders and will only pick out the pieces that they like, the same pieces that will do them the most harm. The use of a good quality extruded pellet is the most recommend. Your chinchillas nutritional requirement lie with you, the owner. Please do your best for your fur balls.

Charlie chinchilla is the worst food ive come across in the uk. Its sometimes advised you do a "hard switch" when bad food is being fed, or where they wont switch, where you remove all the Charlie chinchilla, and provide LOTS of fresh hay for 2/3 days, then introduce the new good pellets. oxbow seems to be a favourite.

Back