Destination Imagination Competition

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starleomach

Dawnna's Keeper
I received an email.....

Hi,

My group and I are competing in a Destination Imagination Competition in which two chinchillas are a featured animal. We are trying to gather information on how chinchillas interact with each other so we can more accurately depict them in our story. Is it possible to come by for a visit to observe your chinchillas?

Thank you,
############
has anyone ever heard of this? I deleted bits of the email that weren't important to this topic. I let them set up an appoinment and gave my general area out but not my actual address. My chinchillas are fine with visitors I just have never heard of this program, I did a google search and it looks ligitimate, I just wanted to see if anyone had any experiance with this program

We have DI through the school. It is a great program for kids. Most of the projects are problem solving and learning to work in groups. But it also stresses on oral and written presentations.

I know of it as well... you might recall hearing about Odyssey of the Mind (or "OM") quite a few years ago... DI was formerly OM. I was never involved as a kid, but I do know that it's a good program to help kids develop a lot of critical skills.

I know of it as well... you might recall hearing about Odyssey of the Mind (or "OM") quite a few years ago... DI was formerly OM. I was never involved as a kid, but I do know that it's a good program to help kids develop a lot of critical skills.

I thought DI split off of OM about the time that I did OM in high school... I seem to recall there being split opinions in the OM ruling group (whatever it was called) and some people went off to make a "better" creative competition organization thingy. Does OM no longer exist? It was a lot of fun. I forget what the difference between DI and OM was, but basically both foster teamwork, imagination, improvisation, problem solving skills, presentations, etc. in different categories (e.g., literature, math, etc); there are local, state and national competitions (you work your way up through the ranks) and there are different age groups for all the categories.

Last edited:
I thought DI split off of OM about the time that I did OM in high school... I seem to recall there being split opinions in the OM ruling group (whatever it was called) and some people went off to make a "better" creative competition organization thingy. Does OM no longer exist? It was a lot of fun. I forget what the difference between DI and OM was, but basically both foster teamwork, imagination, improvisation, problem solving skills, presentations, etc. in different categories (e.g., literature, math, etc); there are local, state and national competitions (you work your way up through the ranks) and there are different age groups for all the categories.

You might be right - since I was never directly involved, I don't really remember the details

One of my coworkers teaches/mentors a DI group, she thinks it's really great and the kids love it.

I teach and coach a DI team. It is fun for the kids...

One of the challenges is modeling how animals communicate and interpreting what they are saying - so you might want to explain if they are visiting during the daytime they won't see much!

Did no one have Future Problem Solvers of America? It was similar, but I cannot remember the main difference. Our team went to state, and was so close to nationals. I think it was great for me, but did become a little intense when I wanted to do sports too.

Back