Taking a difficult chinchilla to the vet

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xkatxrinax

Hi everyone.

One of my chinchillas can't open one of her eyes, there doesn't seem to be much discharge or anything so I think she might have scratched it or something so she's going to the vets tomorrow.

However my chinchilla hates being handled and has bitten me a couple of times before for trying (she's a feisty one but I love her xD). So i'm worried about how i'm going to get her to be examined at the vet without biting me or him. Anyone have any tips for taking chinchillas who hate being handled to the vet? And i'm probably going to have to hold her to give her any treatments he prescribes, any tips for that too?

Thank you!

You could throw a towel over her to catch her. It's less traumatic for both of you.

As long as you're taking her to a good exotic vet, they'll know how to hold her so that they can do the exam. I have two that loathe being handled, but they're totally different chins once they're out of their environment and being restrained by a stranger.

Lastly, since it's an eye issue, eye drops and oral meds are a distinct possibility, so emotionally prepare yourself for that as well. I found a good thread on how to burrito a chin in case you need it...

Hope that helps!

Hi Airyn thanks for the reply!

Thankfully she's easy to catch, she runs straight up to me, it's just restraining her that she hates xD

That burrito tutorial will definitely come in handy! Both of my chinchillas hate being restrained, they're definitely free spirits! One is just more bitey when she's angry than the other one.

Her eye has decided to get a lot better today it's now open instead of completely shut and just looks a bit irritated, but I think i'll still take her to the vet just in case! She must have poked it with something!

You're very welcome! I'm glad her eye's doing better, and I agree that a vet visit is a good idea... just to be safe. Hopefully it's minor!

Back