Did Oxbow just change from a 5lbs bag to a 3lbs bag at the same price

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuji9991

I just bought a new bag of Oxbow in the new packaging. I still have the old bag at home the old bag is a 5lbs bag and the new bag was only 3 lbs. I thought it felt light. I am trying to find my old receipt to see how much the 5 lbs bag was but I am pretty sure it was the same price. Has anyone else boguht a bag was it 3 or 5 lbs. If this is true then Oxbo just drastically increased their price.

The price I paid was about $15. Maybe there is a 5 lbs version that is more expensive and my memory is just not accurate.

Yes they did change the bag size, they said that the 3lb bag is what people want, apparently (I don't agree, the 5lb was perfect for me with two chins). So now they make them in 3lb instead of 5lb. When I e-mailed oxbow about it they said they did lower the price that the store pays to reflect the new size, but that they have no control over what a store chooses to sell it for. Even with the "lower" price comparing what PetSmart use to charge for the 5lb ($17) to what they are selling the 3lb for ($14), that is still an increase of over a dollar a pound.

Yeah I am not happy about this change at all. I think it was made with little thought to the consumer. I think the 5lbs bag used to be 20 some dollars and the new 3lbs bag is 15 some dollars so there is a price increase in there although its understandable considering the store has fixed cost factored into the price that they can't remove due to less product quantity.

I too much preferred the 5lbs bag Its a shame I used Oxbow for longer than I can remember I think this might be time for a switch probably to Mazuri because I can never find Tradition.

i've been lucky and have found the 5 lbs bags still for the same price they used to be, but I know eventually my luck will run out and i will have to buy the 3 lbs

Back