I'm at a loss....

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valkyrian_knight

Came home tonight after work to find one of my chinchillas dead. I'm at a loss of what I did wrong. She lived in the same cage as her mother and her mother looks fine.

Should I clean the cage to clean the smell of her?

What can I do for the mother?

I've been apologizing everytime I see her.

I'm so sorry Roo.

I'm so sorry Boo.

Perhaps you could get your vet to do a necropsy, so as to rule out anything contagious?

So very sorry for your loss xxxxx

I'm sorry for your loss. Without a necropsy, there's no way to know for sure the cause of death. It could have been gut-related (impaction or stasis?) or something genetic or unavoidable such as a heart attack. How old was the daughter? Is the mom healthy?

There was nothing visibly noticeable about health with Boo.

My mother told me to put her in the freezer then we took her to animal control. Didn't see these posts and think to do a necropsy.

The mother, Roo, looks the same. She poops the same I let her out and she ran around. I've been watching her constantly.

I am sorry for your loss. Unfortunately sometimes it just happens I would clean the cage and that is it monitor your other chinchilla

I has a chin ( the sister to one I have now . who is twenty .) the same thing happened went to work they are all fine , came home one died . they can have an issue and you wont know .

Back