How cold is too cold for my chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llittlebllonde

Just as the title says. I don't heat my entire house at night and I am wondering at what point to turn the heat on for my chin.

Chins can deal with pretty cold, much colder then most people would be comfortable with. They can handle temps all the way down below freezing, they will probably be huddled up but they will survive (their natural environment in the wild can drop down to about 30F at night). I knew a breeder in Maine that had chins during a month long power outage and the chin room got down to about 20F before she added a heater and the chins were fine. I've had mine in a room that was less then 50F and they were fine, I think they enjoyed it since they were a bit more active.

Chins can handle very cold temps very well thanks to their dense coats. As long as their water isn't freezing you are fine

While they can handle really cold temps, I personally don't allow my chins room to go below 50-55 in the winter, if that.

My parents tend to keep the house a bit to warm for my liking in the winter so the heat source to the chins room has been blocked off. If it gets to cold then I put a small heater in the room where I can adjust the temperature on it. When the room gets to that temp, the heater shuts off.

My chin room is usually in the 50s during the winter. I've never had an issue, and if it drops below that (it has before) my chins are fine. Your chins will be fine as long as it is comfortable for you.

My chins' room stays around 65-70 all year round. My parents keep the house really warm in the winter, but I shut the vent and it stays nice and cool because the 2 windows in their room are really old and the cold air comes in easily.

In the summer, I keep the vent wide open because my mom keeps the house freezing.

I keep the room at 75 . I was told they like it that cold but not true . I lost two chins from it being to cold . I would find my 20 year old chin sitting on the radiator pipe likes it warm .

I keep the room at 75 . I was told they like it that cold but not true . I lost two chins from it being to cold . I would find my 20 year old chin sitting on the radiator pipe likes it warm .

David- 75 is too hot for chins, definitely not too cold. I think it's generally a rule to keep them at 72 degrees or below.

Back