wet hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TnkTaingTal

I order hay from smallpetselect.com, in bulk. It comes in a cardboard box. My package sat out in the rain. How do I know if it's safe to give my chinchillas? I've heard of chinchillas getting sick from contaminated hay. Any insite would be much appreciated, thank you!

Apparently, it was delivered yesterday at 3:30 and I just brought it in today at 10pm, so it was out for a long time and it down poured at about 5 yesterday. We don't use the front door, so no one noticed it. They usually leave it in front of the garage door :(

I would take it out of the box and lay it out somewhere to fully dry out. The biggest issue is it growing mold so you need to get it dry as quickly as you can to prevent mold growth. If you see any mold or smell mold their is nothing you can do at that point the hay has to be tossed. But mold doesn't grow over night, just something to watch for as you go through it over time with this shipment especially.

Back