What age did you get your Chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oddchinnies

I'm getting a chin soon, already paid for. My cage has been set up for weeks now. I see a lot of people posting on here how they got their chinchilla at 7 weeks old, well mine has to be 4 months old before I can take him home. What is the purpose of this? He's from a breeder, I'm not impatient on waiting if that's what it takes for me to get him, but I am a little confused why other people get them so young yet I have to wait till he's WAY older. Any input? And do you still think he will bond with me even though he is a bit older? To be honest I'm starting to think maybe I got scammed because the breeder has not had very good communication with me since I purchased him. I saw she had an account on here and I did some other research on her before I bought my chin but I'm still having doubts now 😣 I hope I get him, but even if I don't, I'll find another chinchilla buddy to take home. Sorry, went on a rant there.

Getting a kit at 7 weeks is too young, they shouldn't even be weaned until they are 8 weeks. Even then most good breeders hold on to them for another week or two to make sure they are healthy, and eating and drinking ok before going to a new home. It's not uncommon for the kit to need extra time with the mother. When I bought kits in the past I think they were 10-12 weeks before they could be taken home. At 12 weeks they are still very much babies, chins can live 20+ years so a few weeks is not a long time in their life. My guess as to why some people get them young is they are getting them from hobby/backyard type breeders that don't know any better and are just selling chins to try to make money off them, or simply don't know better. It's kind of like how people seem to like to sell puppies and kittens at 6 weeks (I've even seen younger), it is not good for the animals.
I wouldn't take poor communication alone as a sign of a scam, if they are a larger breeder (some on here have 100+ chins) then they have a lot of work to do every day caring for the chins plus normal life. I'd honestly be more skeptical if the person got back to me quickly, since that could mean they might not be caring for the chins. Maybe if you asked if you could check out the breeder's place, visit with and met your new chin that might put your mind at ease? If they truly are a good breeder they should have nothing to hide and should be able to arrange for a visit.

Age doesn't have much to do with bonding, a kit will bond just as well with you as an older (even adult) chinchilla that has been taken good care of. My current two were 3 years old when I got them, and I was able to hold them and even play with them out of the cage hours after bringing them home. That being said every chin is different, and the normal settle in period is at least a week so don't panic if he doesn't take to you right away.

I got my chinchillas when they were 8 weeks old, but as I've said before my mom got them as a surprise for me and the breeder told her a 55 gallon fish tank would be fine to keep them in... Which as we all know is completely unacceptable. So those are the kinds of breeders that sell very young kits.

Bonding is a bad term. Chins don't bond. They get used to you, your home and activities. And truth is they can do that at ANY age. Getting a baby won't mean they will settle in better, not does it mean they will be more friendly. Babies go through a brat phase where they can bite, spay and have attitudes. Honestly I advice getting young adults so you know the personality you are getting

A good breeder won't wean till a kit is over 8 weeks old. Normally they will keep the kit another week to make sure it is doing well on its own. I have held kits till they were 6 months old before I felt they were stable enough to sell. It's all at the breeders discrepancy. If your kit isn't growing as well as she might life that could explain the extra time. I would just ask why so long

mine were about 4months old when I got them. This was the earliest the breeder was really happy to let them go just to be sure they were happy and healthy also he bonded the pair for me which was a win!

I would rather get one that is older, kits and young ones under a year go through the nasty phase, adults are already more calm and are easier to tame as long as they were not abused.

I would personally love to own a young kit so I can watch it grow, but getting them older is definitely better.

I got my first at around 6 months, and the second was almost a year old. My first is skittish and only accepts scratches, while the other one is so friendly I can move him any way that I please. Since he was from a breeder and handled at a young age, he is more comfortable with human contact. He lets pretty much anyone hold him. I'm more bonded to him since I can physically interact with him more than the other. He has no part and he shakes when I do manage to grab him. I think where you get them is more important than at what age.

Here in England twelve weeks is the accepted age to let kits go to their new home. Kits should be fully weaned at this age and before going to their new home, should be eating pellets and hay satisfactorily. :)

I got my chin at 7 years old . After one month he is climbing me up and down and sitting on my lap and shoulders.
I think you can bond with your 4 month old chin fine :)

I checked with two breeders before getting my second and they both recommended getting a chin that is 8 months, they have grown a little more and have a personality and you know what you are getting with them being 8 months.

I got my chin when he was 9 years old, so, yeah, he's an old dude pretty set in his ways. I've had him about a year. He hates being held. I had to really back off a lot with touching him. It's taken a while for him to allow petting and scratching. Now he will sit on my leg when I'm on the floor with him and will run up to me, even call from his cage when he's lonely. But no holding.

Back