Moving to AZ - Help please!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikaelaW

Hi Everyone, it's been awhile since I've posted on here. I'm writing in hopes you all will have some words of advice/help me with my anxiety over this siutation.

I currently live in MN with my chin, Juanita, and (it's not 100% official) but it looks like I will be attending Arizona State University for graduate school. The program/funding are great but my biggest worry is the heat! Coming from MN I'm used to hot summers, but not AZ hot...and more importantly, neither is my chin.

So my question/concern/etc is mainly...can I keep her alive/safe and thriving/happy in AZ? I have a portable AC unit...though I've seen Swamp Coolers mentioned (no idea what those are really, aside from what I've read). I'm 100% comfortable paying a big bill for electric (if anyone has thoughts as to how much I should expect, that'd be a nice heads up lol) if it means she can keep cool, but for those of you in hotter temps, with an AC on are the temps manageable? I know there are planty of people who own chins in hot climates...I'm just paranoid when her temp hits 75 (F). Ideally I'd love to be home every time it's blazing hot outside, sitting next to her with my car keys ready to turn my car into a freezer for her, but I need to know generally how she'll be since realistically I'll be in class sometimes and can't always be home. Maybe I'm worrying too much about this, but I just want to know that I'm not going to be putting her in danger!Also, if anyone can speak to this, I've been questioning whether or not I should get a 2 bedroom apt so she can have her own room so the AC can blast in there - but I'm not sure really how to go about all this!

Any thoughts/words of advice are GREATLY appreciated. I want to be excited about scholarships and potentially attending, but I just am so full of anxiety and worry over her safety and the heat!
Thank you SOO MUCH in advance!!
- Mikaela :)

As long as you live in a building with HVAC you should be fine. I live in TN and we frequently get above 100 in the summer, with the added anxiety of thunderstorms from the high humidity knocking power out.

I doubt in an apartment they are going to let you put a window unit in - they are typically very strict about things like that. But you could always put a portable one in as you say - I've heard they aren't as good though and I know they are expensive. Maybe a better option is to look into some sort of device that could send you an alert/text if the temp gets to a certain point? I think they make thermostats like that, so maybe they make thermometers or something that would do that?

Worst case scenario you could build breaks into your day to be able to come home for lunch or something or have a neighbor come by. Will you have a roommate? That would help keep eyes on her too...

A swamp cooler works the opposite of an a/c. A/C takes moisture out of the air to cool it down in humid areas. A swamp cooler puts moisture back into the air because it is so dry.

AZChins lives in Arizona and her chins do just fine. There are many pet chin folk who live there as well. I would check where you are moving and see what they provide for a/c. I highly doubt people living in Arizona live without a/c when the temperatures hit the 110's to 120's every summer.

There is a temperature alert device that I have known several people to use. I don't know who makes it or where to get it, but there is one out there.

Yep- make sure you have AC, and also keep some chinchillers in the fridge just in case and you should be fine. Personally I'd also check into a backup ac and power supply just in case-Im a worrier. Also double checking that the AC in your car works- it could be an backup if anything goes wrong, and probably needed if your chin needs the vet.

thank you everyone! I will for sure be bringing my portable AC & ask about back up power sources when I apartment hunt. I'll try to look into apps that give me info. I also have a baby/pet cam I can view on the go from an app so that should help with some anxiety...I think my biggest fear is having it be in the 110s & the ac not lowering temps enough & putting her in danger.

I don't think I could handle not bringing her lol! I just hope she likes her new home lol

Hi Everyone, it's been awhile since I've posted on here. I'm writing in hopes you all will have some words of advice/help me with my anxiety over this siutation.

I currently live in MN with my chin, Juanita, and (it's not 100% official) but it looks like I will be attending Arizona State University for graduate school. The program/funding are great but my biggest worry is the heat! Coming from MN I'm used to hot summers, but not AZ hot...and more importantly, neither is my chin.

So my question/concern/etc is mainly...can I keep her alive/safe and thriving/happy in AZ? I have a portable AC unit...though I've seen Swamp Coolers mentioned (no idea what those are really, aside from what I've read). I'm 100% comfortable paying a big bill for electric (if anyone has thoughts as to how much I should expect, that'd be a nice heads up lol) if it means she can keep cool, but for those of you in hotter temps, with an AC on are the temps manageable? I know there are planty of people who own chins in hot climates...I'm just paranoid when her temp hits 75 (F). Ideally I'd love to be home every time it's blazing hot outside, sitting next to her with my car keys ready to turn my car into a freezer for her, but I need to know generally how she'll be since realistically I'll be in class sometimes and can't always be home. Maybe I'm worrying too much about this, but I just want to know that I'm not going to be putting her in danger!Also, if anyone can speak to this, I've been questioning whether or not I should get a 2 bedroom apt so she can have her own room so the AC can blast in there - but I'm not sure really how to go about all this!

Any thoughts/words of advice are GREATLY appreciated. I want to be excited about scholarships and potentially attending, but I just am so full of anxiety and worry over her safety and the heat!
Thank you SOO MUCH in advance!!
- Mikaela :)
Hi there! My chin lives quite comfortably in a 75-78 degree home. I've never had an over-heating problem. But definitely bring a portable unit :)

ChinnyChinChins - My barn hits 70 degrees and I am panicking and running for the spare air conditioner. I would never, ever, let my chins live in 75-78 degree temperatures. You think there is no overheating problem, but I would ask you to please put on a full length fur coat, hat, gloves, boots, the works, and just sit in your 75-78 degrees and see how it feels. I'm going to guess that you are going to be pretty uncomfortable.

Back