Over Brushing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izarith

Hey! New to the website, so not sure if this is the correct forum. I have had my chinchilla for about six years now and I occasionally lightly brush him. Recently he has had more loose fur so I decided to use a fur buster comb, thinking he might benefit from a thorough grooming.....

Well, I think I went a little too far. His butt is a tad sparse now, my main question is will his hair grow back in? I know it is likely to, but I am just super paranoid. That area also seems very sensitive now, so I also wanted to make sure that would improve as well?

I posted a picture, you can see where his fur is indented.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 32
Chins should not be brushed, but rather combed. There are special metal combs that you can purchase through breeders that are great for grooming chinchilla fur. Brushes tend to remove more fur than necessary, which is why they are advised against.

As said brushing isn't really advised, especially not deshedding ones, chinchillas have fur that is designed to pull out easily when pulled on, it's a defense thing so the predator just gets fur. The fur does grow back, but it can take a month or so. A fine toothed comb is what you want for a chinchilla, flea combs work ok, I use a double sided cat comb. I honestly would advise against the professional chinchilla grooming combs unless you are showing and/or know what you are doing, they are like a comb made of needles (they aren't blunder at the tips) and can easily scratch up your chin if used wrong.

I agree with everyone. Brushing is not the best idea. You can use a flea comb to get out loose hair. It looks like fur slips in the pic. Those will grow back in. It can take up to 4 months for it to fully regrow though

Back