A50

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDZCRanch

RavenousDeadlyZombieChins
I had a litter of triplets born this morning and thought I would share the "horror" of the litter. It appeared when I got home that I had two healthy babies and one slightly premature baby. I started to open the premie baby's eyes like I usually do and instead of finding an eyeball, all that came out of either eye socket was goo. Needless to say, I don't have high hopes for this baby making it. She clearly has neurological problems on top of not having any eyes.

I figured this could be a story to share since I've seen a lot of people popping up in chat talking about how nice it would be to have kits...just once. And also because of all the "help I have kits!" threads that have been popping up. If you put a male and female together, you will get babies and it's not always pretty. We've said it a million times and I'm sure we will say it a million times more...think before you breed (this is what it's called when you cage an unaltered male with an unaltered female).

I will get pictures in a moment...don't have my camera on me so will have to take some poor quality phone pictures.

Oh Tab. That's just not nice to find in the morning. I don't know if I want to see pictures of that. :(

I'm sorry that you didn't have three perfect little ones and I hope that all the babies do alright for you. It's so hard to get those little premies to make it. :(

Here are some pictures. The lighting is not the best, but trust me when I say there is no eyeball in either socket. She has almost fully formed sockets, but no eyeball...only ooze. Don't click on the photos if you don't want to see them.

Here is just a picture of her to show what she looks like.

1025112012-011.jpg

The following links are of her eyeballs. Please DO NOT click these links if you do not want to see the graphic images. You have been warned.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a377/fuzzychinchy/Horror Pictures/1025112011-00.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a377/fuzzychinchy/Horror Pictures/1025112012-00.jpg

She snuggles into her mom like she's trying to nurse, but there's no actual suckling. I also tried to handfeed her and she would have none of it. I don't have high hopes for her, but I put her back with her mom and I'll check on her periodically.

I couldn't look. However it is a relief that she was born at your ranch and will get the best care no matter the out come.

Sorry to hear that Tab. Poor little girl is a cutie. The pictures aren't that disturbing imo but I do feel sorry for the little bug. I looked because I want to see everything good, bad and ugly, so if it happens to me I am prepared - especially since this isn't the first time a kit with no eyes has been born this year. I am sure it was a lot more graphic when the ooze came out. I hate this time period because you know they aren't going to make it but there isn't much you can do :(

Too true, Christine. As a chin breeder, the pictures aren't that graphic to me either, but everyone has their own ideas and I've seen some pretty aweful things. Nothing to me is as aweful as finding a chewed up kit, parts of a kit or a mummified kit.

Unfortunately, the little girl passed away early this morning around 2am. Her two sisters are very healthy, strong and absolutely perfect. This is the second litter out of this pair and the first kit they had is perfect and doing great at 7 months old.

Sorry Tab, but since she wasn't doing well it's probably better that she went sooner rather then later. I know these things happen a lot in large herds, but it still makes me want to go home tonight and snuggle my babies. RIP little girl.

I guess it wasn't a huge shock to find her passed away, but still so sad. At least she was in a loving and safe environment while she was here.

As sad as this is, it is good to keep these stories shared, as a reminder to those a bit more naive, that breeding doesn't always result in a happy ending.

Back