Cage-in-a-cage introduction method-- With a Ryerson Carrier??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zombiezeatbrain

Philosophically inclined?
I'm in the process of introducing my two boys. I'm excited to try this method because so many people have had such good luck with it.

But I'm wondering if a 2-hole Ryerson carrier (looks like this:
arc010009.jpg
) will suffice if I put the dominant chin in just one of the slots and let my more passive boy free in the cage? At least until I acquire a show cage? Or do you think it would be better to hold off on the whole thing until I order a show cage?

I can't imagine that the Ryerson carrier would work as well, especially considering that there's solid sheet metal covering both the top, the back, and the sides, so essentially the only way they'd be able to interact would be through the front.

I tried ordering a show cage from Ryerson today but the website didn't work and said that it was unable to process my request any time I try to add an item to my cart. I emailed them, but am still eagerly waiting on a response. I also checked chinchillas.com but they're sold out of show cages.

Anybody know of another place I can find a show cage online? Should I just wait it out or should I try introducing them with the carrier?

Some local breeders keep show cages around and might be willing to part with one. Or you could look into a semi local show... The carrier will work fine just make sure the door closes firmly. Sometimes those can open easily and last thing you want is for him to get loose.

It *could* work but honestly for the method to work as it should, you should get something that is open all around. I have used a small hamster cage in the past, if you can't find a show cage. Obviously the cage was bare with just a solid bottom and wire top, none of the crazy tubes/wheels/compartments etc. that come with some hamster cages.

Back