Oh Dear.....

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ServantofBlueberry

Through an honest mistake of the husband, little Blueberry got the tip of a finger bitten off by Mela. There is bone exposed. We just got back from the ER vet with some Batryl (oh no not again) and Metacam for her pain. They put Gluture on her finger (which she has been constantly chewing at, so my hopes of it holding are slim to none) I was told if if didnt hold, then surgery would be needed. I have Glueture as I groom dogs, so I guess I could always re-apply if needed. Im hesitant about surgery as I know anesthetizing chinchillas isnt always safe. So, have any of you had luck with a nipped finger with bone exposed healing without surgery? I dont care what I have to do to keep her cage as clean as possible, I dont care if I need to clean her toe eighty million times a day. Ill do whatever needs to be done if anyone has had any luck and suggestions regarding this to avoid surgery. Ive read too many bad stories about chins going in for a simple surgery and not making out due to the anesthesia.

Yes, I was more concerned because there is bone showing, and I read that if the bone is showing they can get a nasty infection in the bone itself. Surgery would be a last resort for me, I was just wondering about any suggestions other than make sure it stays clean. Do you think as long as I keep it very clean the skin will heal over the bone on its own?

Even with bone showing it should heal ok. Ive seen many chins have the same injury and do just fine. Keeping it clean and watching it is the key. Obviously if there is any doubt do a vet visit but in almost all the cases they heal on their own.

I usually put mine on fleece instead of shavings. Change the fleece once a day and clean it two or three times a day

Ive done all of the above :) Thanks guys :) We went to the ER vet when it happened and got Batryl and Metacam for her, I took all the shavings out and fleeced her cage and I have been changing it daily. Its been two days now and no redness or swelling, although she chews on it more than I would like her too. Thanks for the info :)

This happened to my Pippin when he was just 8 weeks old! Scared me to death, but I just kept everything as clean as I could. I thought his finger was broken; it was bad. But it's all healed up now and the only way you can tell it happened is he doesn't have a fingernail there. I hope your Blueberry heals up fast! :)

Hoping if I post here that it will bump this up. Berry was really sluggish when this first happened, and then her finger got kind of scabby, but it was not red nor swollen and there was no discharge. She was on Batryl since this happened, but it said 10 days so I stopped giving it to her two days ago, tonight her finger seemed somewhat swollen. I started her back on Batryl, just in case. Those of you whom have had these injuries, did it kind of regress slightly while healing? It seemed to be healing quite fine and closing up, but now it seems like it may have taken a step backwards. She is eating/drinking/pooping pretty normally, and her finger seems to be less tender than it was when this first went down, but it does seem more tender today than it has been the past two days. She has a follow up next Weds at the vet. I dont want to over react, so thats why I am asking if some swelling is normal while healing as long as there is no discharge... how would you tell if a little finger is on the verge of infection. Ive tried to google a picture of what an infected finger would look like, with little success.

Oh yea, I yanked all the bedding out of the cage as soon as we got home from the ER. I change it daily and shop vac it multiple times a day. I also put her back on the Metacam since its anti-inflamitory. I just didnt want to give that to her for too long as I worry about doing damage to her liver from the pain meds. Thanks for the well wishes :)

Back