Not interested?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simplymee

Nimbus <3
I'm not sure if its because he's still nervous or if he is even nervous at all, but my chinnie has not been interested in any wood toy I have for him.

He's currently 8 weeks and he has been very social. At times he hides but he always near the door looking at me or wanting to come out and play.

I read somewhere in the forms that you should let a new chin relax in the new cage for 3 days to a week (just to get use to both you and th environment) but it seems like he's already pretty use to me(I use to visit him when he was younger)

But back to the main situation; I have chin toys, shelves, lava ledge, and this grape toy from petco. The only thing he seems to actually like are the lava ledge and the vines from the grape toy. I've even given him apple twigs, small pear chunks, willow sticks and even cottonwood... He doesn't like any of them. He had no interest with apple, pear, or cottonwood. He had a nibble with the willow and that was it. I don't know what to do. Should I wait it out longer? Have you heard of a chin who didn't like any twigs at all?

Also if you could help me figure this out.
I have a critter nation cage and of course him being adventurous and all, he'll jump in the air and climb the walls. Some times he just drops and it makes me nervous that he might sprain his foot. Is it normal for him to be bouncing off the walls like that?

I'd just give him more time, if he is only 8 weeks you must have just got him, it's ideal to wait at least a week before expecting normal behavior, some chins can take even longer. Even though you visited so he knows you he is now in a whole new environment, if you've ever moved, or even gone away for awhile, you'll know it takes time to settle into a new routine in a new place even for humans. New sights, smells, sounds, and probably a whole different schedule for feeding and interacting.

Most chins don't like all types of wood, you just need to find out over time what he does like. One tricky thing is though you can have a toy in the cage for months without being touched and then just one night they decide they want to demolish it, and you find that toy or wood you thought they hated all chewed up. Another possibility is he never had wood to chew on in the pet store so he probably is unsure of it, it's a good sign that he is chewing something. It's also possible he just likes the feel of chewing the lava ledge so that's what he wants to chew first.

As for the climbing and bouncing off the walls, that is perfectly normal for a healthy kit. I think kits might be made of jumping beans, lol, just make sure he can't fall too far but if it's only a single CN he should be ok with that height, you can try adding hammocks to where he normally drops from, or add more fleece to the floor, for example use two liners instead of one so it's more cushioned, but mostly you just wait for him to grow out of it though. That is one good example of why it's suggested to keep a kit in a single high CN or FN.

OK, it is totally normal for him to be bouncing off the walls, I've got quite the neurotic chin that does it all the time and has never injured himself. I too have a critter nation cage, and my hubby made several ledges that they love to jump onto. I wouldn't worry about his interests. We have five chinchillas, three are cage mates and they love to chew on everything. The other two are in cages by themselves. One of them likes to chew ok, the other hardly chews on anything; he doesn't like toys but loves sticks. We've only had him since May though, and he isn't a year old yet. I would just give your little guy some time. He sounds happy and healthy. :)

I have found most kits dont chew things till they get closer to 6 months old. So that isnt anything to worry about. I would make sure he cant fall more than 12 inches at this point. Add ledges, hammocks or something to break his far or discourage him. Kits are just crazy in general so hes acting quite normal from what you are describing.

Thank you so much. I felt like I was kinda wasting my money on sticks and wood cause he had no interest. I guess I'll just save them till he gets close to being 6months.

Back