420 Chinchillas Rescued

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too late... chins already ARE dying... So far I have found 1 CONFIRMED case. I just left another post on the SDHS FB page...

Yeah, I read the post about it :c I'm not surprised. RIP little one...

But as for good news, they FINALLY fixed their site with proper and more detailed information compared to before. And I also hope they told this info change to their employees/volunteers as well so the adopters get proper information

I wonder if they transitioned their feed or just started a new food cold turkey. Poor chins. I glanced at the fb page and have seen other comments. " Lets get one...or five!". Seems like they are the next big thing now. My friend up here in NY are now talking about them on fb. How cute they are and how they want them. Or sharing info about the HS and sharing it's donation page for the chinchillas....how many people do you think are donating to "operation chinchilla"? When they already got so much money for their care, and legit rescues in CA and the country could use that money.

I am also confused as to why so many people, on their page are wanting a different sex cage mate for their pre existing chinchilla. Neutered males for their females because they don't want babies..*head desk*

I gave up anytime we post anything to try to help we get attacked or ignored. And now their public relations office is politely brushing every comment off with contact us directly and we have experts on staff. Really? Cause your experts did a bang up job thus far. I'm just sad for the chinchillas in this situation surrounded by people with good intentions but a lack of knowledge unfortunately they'll pay with their lives as they already have.

Oceanside - has 13 left. This facility as of last week had 100. I went Thursday they had
San Diego - has 3 left. This facility took the rest.

I got a call yesterday since I called them last week. I told them I was at Oceanside looking at chins for a railroad. I told them if I lived closer I can help them. I was told that they have enough volunteers that know about chins I left it as that.

Seriously???? I mean WTF, if a legit rescue with legit rescue animals could get 10 people to want to adopt even if they were not qualified would be a very good day, CA chins has 50 or so that need homes, maybe a threat to pelt would produce results.

Look at their website under adoptions. I know for sure that Oceanside had their pictures and information starting Thursday morning. I looked this morning under both that is all they had posted was the chins I mentioned earlier. Unless they took down the chins pictures because their under stress or something.

6 months from now remind me to post screen shots of all of the San Diego Craigslist "chinchilla(s)" search results on their website... Maybe even sooner when all of these adopters get sick of cleaning/feedng all of these chins who are not used to being handled and don't curl up on their lap like a dog or cat... then wonder why.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for the local rescues, not only did the pool of adoptors get smaller, the risk of these chins coming into the rescues soon in very real. What a mess that could have been avoided, the breeder won by getting top dollar for the herd, the chins lose by getting homes because they were cheap. SDHS is a fail by listing these chins as rescues who were going to be pelted, true or not its making the new owners seem like there were doing a good thing by taking them home or because they were cheap, either way POX to all involved.

So SDHS got 100k for their care. And somehow has managed to rehome almost all of them already. If only that money could go to the legit chin rescues in the area, so they can have money when these chins come to them in a few months....I feel almost none of that money is going to go to chins. They will be given back to rescues once people realize they are not guinea pigs and don't want to sit in your lap and cuddle all day. And the rescues won't see a dime of the money that as donated with the chins.

Well for what it's worth, I was already planning on getting another chin in a few months, and I really couldn't afford it/have time for it now, so I will be able to take in one or two when they start trickling back into the rescue population. I really really hope most of the 400 were adopted and not quietly disposed of because they died from mishandling. :(

Update! I've been inquiring about visiting the chinchillas and it's been hard to get in touch with anyone at SDHS. I finally got through today and they told me they aren't letting anyone see the chinchillas for at least another week, so they can have time to destress. I think that's a good sign--I was worried about the poor things being poked and prodded after such a big change in environment.

So, next weekend I'll try to get an appointment to meet them. I'll let y'all know what happens. <3

I too also offered to volunteer, figuring that having experience handling chinchillas is not the same as handling dogs or cats, but was told they have enough help already.

A lot of he said she said going on with this place...would LOVE to hear from someone "inside" that knows what's going on, and knows what's being done wrong :( I hear they've downgraded their fees from $25/ea to $25/pair?!?

I offered to volunteer last week when they called me she said they have enough people. I wonder how many chins they have left since the web site shows SD with zero and Oceanside maybe 16.

Way up in MI I feel like I cant do anything. If any of you in CA with rescues contact me when you get them trickling in, let me know. I can at least send wood to you. Id take some in myself when they come back to rescues, but I feel like railroading them way up here would be quite an effort for the few I could take in. Just save my name somewhere and I can at least help out with sticks and maybe perches for any cages that need stuff.

I'm sad to hear how many of these chins have died since being placed. Seems like a lot of it is misinformation about care or stress-related. :(

Back