Ringworm or other fungus....what will the vet do?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool...my vet gave me something useful? If you look up Malaseb, it comes in shampoos, rinses (good!), towels, pads, and all sorts of stuff. The miconazole nitrate works well on my dog (in his shampoo)....and so did his Chlorhexaderm shampoo . This stuff is both together. Watch for the concentrations in the different products. Also, Miconazole nitrate is in most of the other foot powders/ creams. Maybe that could works as well as the tolfnatate?

Luckily, the Malaseb pads were only 5 bucks and can be bought over the counter (on Amazon for 10). I didn't use any because I wanted your opinions first....but I wasn't bothered to have them around. Would be good for under the dog's arms (hard to get with shampoo).

I have washed my hands with his shampoo a few times (and rinsed well) to avoid the possible ringworm from Bunny. I don't use it right before I handle her because I wasn't sure the safety.

On another note, here is what I posted in my other thread about the Metacam overdose:

Well...I got home and she is fine. She looked a bit groggy but I took her out to play and she livened up. She wanted to hide some because she is sleepy but she hopped around. I looked up the metacam ...it is supposed to be (for dogs) .1mg (or.2mg on day 1) per Kilogram. She weighs less than half of that, so she can have .05mg to .1mg of the medicines active ingredient. So, with my bottle tht contains .5mg of meds in every mL, she is supposed to have .1 to .2 cc. So the overdose was minimum 5 times more than she should have and 10 times more than she needed. The vet said it was 1mg/kg....

I knew my vet wasn't a good chin vet....but that info is not correct even for dogs....so that is dead wrong. He is going to get a piece of my mind. It is like taking 10 advil! You can take 2 (3+ if you are big or really hurting) but you could take 1 for something small....10 can kill you.

I figured she would be stoned or really nauseous, not high. But she is okay.

That vet has made a grave error. That wasn't misinformed, treating a chinchilla like a dog crap....That was could have killed even a dog because you have the decimal in the wrong place in your head and on paper crap. Do the math, Dr. Dumby

Let's get Bunny through this and we will try yet another vet if she needs to go back .

I am emailing the vet because I don't think I could talk to him.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Another oddity....Pepper just made some GIANT poos! She usually has thinner ones...these were twice the thickness at least! They are kind of soft and somewhat sticky. They maybe stress related poos from vet visits and all the other stuff going on....but dang! She has had acidophilus. I am not super concerned....just wondering. I know Giardia can cause large stools...but these don't smell different than normal or anything.

I gave her a loofah bite...which may have made them softer, too....but why so big?

Bunny is doing okay still. Sleeping a lot but nothing looks worse.

Any thoughts on Pepper's GIANT poos?

Also, I have seen Bunny do something funny lately....After the vet handled her and put her back in the carrier, I saw her kick her back feet back like a dog covering up its poo (but only one kick per foot). She did it twice at the vet, but was standing on an ice pack covered in fleece and I think I saw her do it in her playtent tunnel this morning.

Anyone ever seen this? Is it a warning like spraying? A creative way of scratching her feet? Or what?

Oh, and those of you asking about the silly stuff I saw on the camera footage...it varied. I got to see who hogged the wheel and who was eating and how they handle it when they both wanted the wheel (pretty well usually...occasional a kack and warnings, but usually just one trying to run one way and the other sitting or running the other way)! It is very cute sometimes to see them hop around....especially in fast forward!

Thanks (and sorry for the topic changes)

Graphic pics....but better

Here are a few more pics. The first one is from the first appearance Sunday or Monday morning (before blu-kote). The fur is in the way...it was a round area the size of a dime or more.

I have already posted pics from Tuesday and Wednesday (very purple ones!).

The second pic is from this morning (a little purple left, some fresh area)

Three and four are from tonight. No more purple scabs, the fresher area is healing up. Missing hair is still half dollar maybe. A couple white pin points might be pus, but unsure. I can see a definite "ring" shape that takes up the inner 50% of the area. It is the markings from the original scab or a ringworm shape. It was a circle when it first appeared.

Not much new on the nose....still missing fur and flaky, but no drastic changes. Too hard to get a pic of that.

I think it is improving, so we are going to keep at the chlorhexadine to clean it and the antibiotics and LOW dose pain meds.

Attachments

• 100_4163.jpg
    100_4163.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 100_4212 - Copy.jpg
    100_4212 - Copy.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_4234.jpg
    100_4234.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 100_4236.jpg
    100_4236.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 19
Here is this morning's pic. She is still sitting still a lot and uncomfortable, but she ran around when we took her out and is eating, but maybe a little less than normal. We are watching her weight to make sure she doesn't quit eating. She had lost several grams yesterday from sleeping and stress, but has already gained a few back.

The wound is just as large but looks more and more like skin (is scabby but well colored). So, she is improving.

She gets a little does of pain meds (.1cc!) in a few minutes here. Hopefully the vets misdosage did not damage any organs.

How long do you think it will take for her to be feeling well again (again, she will run and play in the play area, is just sulking some in her cage)? I know she has only had 4 doses of antibiotics so far.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 102_4241.jpg
    102_4241.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 10
the large poo can be a stomach disturbance or stress related. i would say try to give her 1/2 a shredded wheat square 2 times per day for the next day or so.
my new rescue had the biggest softet poo i have ever seen and that is what i did and it firmed them up. i didnt want to give too many treats that is why i broke them in half, so he was really only getting 1 full one per day. I did that for i think 3 days and it worked.

They already are smaller...still a little soft. I pulled the loofah. I think she ate enough of that , plus the stress, to change her poos. I will give her a bit of shredded wheat to help it along.

ps...sorry the picture above is so blurry...hard to capture a squirming chin!

When she sleeps her eyes are squinted shut (tight)...is this pain, or sleepiness or nausea from meds? She is still eating.

She looks like she's doing much better. I wouldn't worry all that much about her eyes squinting. She's probably just sleeping heavily. If she's running, poos going back to normal, etc., then I wouldn't be too anxious about it.

She does like to scare me....was holding a paw in close to her chest while sleeping, which I have seen them do off and on before, but she wasn't putting it down a lot (while scratching, but used it to walk). I checked her out and could only see some blu-kote stains from her stepping in some. I think maybe it was some lava dust from a lava bite she was standing on the chinchiller wher she had chewed up some recently. I dabbed ber paw with the chlorhexadine to help rinse away anything. I think I was being a paranoid mama again!

Her nose doesn't look much different, but we haven't been able to get much of anything on it. Her shoulder is looking better, so I think we are on the road to recovery now.

Lately I have noticed my chins laying with their butts up in the air but their heads on the floor (of houses or chinchillers). Is this unusual?

I have written a long letter to that vet that misdosed Bunny. I haven't sent it yet. I have two other vets in mind to try. One is only open 1 Saturday per month and the other is far away. You just don't know until they say/do something stupid, I guess.

I am confused about ivermectin and revolution. Is one topical and one oral? I think vet #2 wanted to give them an oral med but called it Revolution.

The vet I want to try isn't open tomorrow, but I thought I might take her for a scrape Monday so I can determine if there is fungus or MAYBE mites. I want to be prepared to ask for the correct meds if that vet has reason to think mites. My focus is too clear up the bacterial infection because that is dangerouse, but my baby is itchy and I will need make sure of the source.

IMO you need to just chill. You are actively looking for something to be wrong with your chins.

You have been given a lot of good advice. For the most part, you have ignored it. Have you noticed that most people have just stopped responding to this thread? They feel like they are wasting their breath trying to get through to you.

If it is fungus, it's not a big deal, although you are making it out to be. Chins don't need vets and pain meds for it.

I wasn't freaking out, just asking question as a new chin owner. Since I don't know everything that is typical, I am curious. I think you are misreading my tone. I am just asking, not flipping out (except with the overdose issue). Sorry if I have used up my quota of questions.

I didn't say it was a big deal to be fungal....I just want to know whether or not it really is so I can treat it. Everyone said to get a scrape..I say I am going to do that and you tell me to chill..... I did follow advice (I have NOT ignored it!) and when the situation did escalate I went to the vet. The pain meds and vet trips were for the bacterial infection she got from scratching it. Thanks for reading.

The bad part about typing and not talking is that you can't hear me just ask in a curious tone...it is too open to interpretation.

I know I got off topic now and then, but I did not realize I was unwelcome due to this.

I am so broke it isn't funny.... I do NOT want anything to be wrong with them. I have no chin expert in the area or any help like that, so all I can do is ask you guys and try to gather as much info as possible.

I thought that is what the forum is for. Sorry.

I do want to point out that, had I not been asking every little question, I would not have asked about the metacam dosage, and thus would have continued to give the prescribed amount from the vet (10x the correct amount). My chin could have died. I think it is worth me being a little bothersome to a few members so that my chin is healthy. If I was trying to not seem like I was "looking for something to be wrong," I may not have asked that one important question.

A few paranoid questions I am sure have saved other lives on this forum.

Just for thought.

Thank you for your help.

Back