Matted Fur

• Thread starter xBetterBeSocialx
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
X

xBetterBeSocialx

What is the best way to handle a small patch of matted fur? Templeton has been on antibiotics and wasn't too thrilled about it for the first few days...and he got some on his chin. I tried to clean it all off, but he wasn't too cooperative and apparently I didn't get it all. To make a long story short, he took a dust bath and the medicine absorbed the dust and a few days later, wa-la...he's got a mat on his chin. Help please?

You need to pull it out- that is the best way. Get a comb, I have only used chin combs- and just pull it out. It should come out pretty easily, like when they drop fur. Someone will come on and tell you what else you can use if you don't have the chin combs, I am sure.

Fur on their chin does not slip like the fur on their body and cam be very painful to pull it out

Use a baby wipe to kind of break it up and wipe it out with that best you can, then if you have a comb gently comb it out best you can. Repeat as needed. If you don't have baby wipes you can use a damp ( not soaking wet ) paper towel or even just a dish rag.

I'm not sure if this will work if it's a big mat but put the mat between your thumb & index finger and rub gently. I do this to 1 of my chins that gets wet under her chin. She doesn't have malo she had x-rays done I think she plays with her bottle.

Thanks! I appreciate the suggestions and I'll give them a shot :)

I would not pull the fur out. A little mat on his chin will eventually come off on it's own with repeated dust baths. If it really bothers you, use a baby wipe or a damp wash cloth and clean it that way.

Back