Eating his feet

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tucker_Baron

Hello, I have two chinchillas one is Tucker and the other is Baron. Anyways I have had them for 3 years. We have been through our fair share of chinchilla ailments. All of which were treated by their vet. ( their vet is not open today) And the emergency vet down right refuses my chin.

Anyways I am almost positive this is no emergency. But none the less I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. Friday night baron began chewing at his toes, front and back. I woke up Saturday morning to a blood bath and baron had just chewed away at his pads under his toes and feet. It does not appear to be bumble foot. Anyways yesterday and today I sat in the chin room to watch him. He was ripping out is hair on his paws and chewing them until bleeding. I gave him some extra toys but he seems not to care. He is eating well and has lost no weight. However I am scared he is going to chew his feet off. Does anyone have experience with this? or any recommendations that may help?

He has a very large cage, wheel, toys and a best friend. Also food, hay and water.

So I don't think this could be a boredom thing?? maybe??? I don't know:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I would get him into the vet as soon as possible. Call around and see if you can find another vet that will see chins. Chins will chew and pull hair at an area that is causing them pain or discomfort. You will need a vet to figure out what is wrong with him and you will probably need a collar to stop him from chewing the area until it has a chance to heal. If you can't find another vet then see if the evet will at least give you a collar and maybe some pain meds until you can get to your vet tomorrow.

Back