Chinchilla matted fur??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiaismypet

Hi all, I really need some help here. This is my female chinchilla who’s I’ve been told is around 4 years old. I’ve had her since she was 1 and she was rescued by a lady who found her left in a carrier somewhere. Her fur was kinda gross but her owner said it was because she hadn’t had a bath in a while. So after giving her baths she got nice and fluffy and healthy looking.

Starting a couple months ago I noticed her fur slowly turn mated and almost chewed down? But I’m NEVER seen her chew it in my life and she takes dust baths.. she doesn’t seem to do anytning to it but as the days go on it keeps getting worse. I thought maybe she was depressed and I got her a lot of toys recently and also let her play in my room so it’s a new environment and stuff.

I got her to be friends with my other female chinchilla named Chia but sadly chia hated her and hates all chinchillas and then being friends never worked. I still try but they get mad. So I was left with 2 separate ones, they
0S5JkehKWaRpMJRLwRao3KPSw
can still see each other when they play because I seperated the ferret nation cage into two. When one goes out the other can see and so she isn’t completely alone... it’s weird because she was totally fine for so long. Any guidance on what could be wrong or if I should go to the vet?

From your description it sounds like fur chewing, she could be doing it when you aren't around. Fur chewing can be caused by all kinds of different things but sudden behavior change should be checked out by the vet, one cause is pain. I would take her in to get checked over and make sure it's not something physical causing it.

Okay so I just got back from the vet and I am so... help. He said it looks like bacteria and yeast so he gave be a shampoo for it and said to make her wet where it’s affected and add the shampoo, then dry it really well after. Cuz I was saying that isn’t it so bad to make a chinchilla wet? Do you guys think that’s okay? Can I trust him?? He is also doing a fungus thing but I won’t know the results for 2 week.... I just am so scared to get her wet but he said I had to and I have the shampoo here but I want some confirmation from you guys that he isn’t wrong..

From your description it sounds like fur chewing, she could be doing it when you aren't around. Fur chewing can be caused by all kinds of different things but sudden behavior change should be checked out by the vet, one cause is pain. I would take her in to get checked over and make sure it's not something physical causing it.

The shampoo is called dermachlor 4 , it is a chlorhexidine gluconate medicated shampoo for cats and dogs..

I really have no idea if that shampoo is safe. Looking around it does look like some people have used chlorhexidine to clean infected wounds on chins, but that is all I am able to come up with.

As for getting them wet, the biggest issue is making sure you completely dry the chin afterwards. Their fur is too dense to fully dry on it's own which can cause skin issues. Pat it dry as much as you can, then use a hair drier on low or no heat setting, and gently comb the area until dry.

Back