Stop eating Critical Care!!! Advice needed!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Amber*

I've added molasses to the original flavor of Critical Care and that helped for one feeding. Now I cannot get chin to take the Critical Care. When I tried force feeding he seemed to be just spitting it out. Can I add Apple Juice or Pedialyte or something else to lure him into eating?

Why is the chin being hand fed? If its because of a gut issue or a respiratory issue, they will be hard to feed regardless of what it is. I use a 50/50 mixture of critical care and lifeline for those chins and actually for any chin I am feeding, with the 1000s of feedings I have done, this was the best result. Lifeline is purchased from chocolatechinchillas.com

ticklechin I rescued him From Humane Society...He is thin only 480 grams. Vet check revealed inflamed mouth and something that looked to be infection or tumor. Also has nasal discharge. Vet advised to give Baytril, pain meds, bene bac and Critical Care for 2 weeks to see if improves, if not I will have no other choice than to euthanize. I just ordered lifeline but until I get it I will need to flavorize Critical care to get him to eat. If I force feed he spits it out. I was just informed by another member here that if its URI then he prob can t breathe good to eat which make very good sense.

I have had better luck with the apple banana critical care straight, can you get that from the vet?

Another trick is to dip the syringe tip into simethicone which most chin dig the flavor, then insert into the mouth and try to feed, chin gets the sweet flavor first. Canned pumpkin added to critical care has been used and some chins like that.

In this case, and in the cases I have had where the chin will not eat at all, and its a case of eat or die, I mix whatever in the CC to get them to eat-as long as its not a gut issue.

Back