Penis will not retract!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhenriksen

My chinchilla's penis is extended and won't go back into his body. The whole thing started with an eye problem and has turned into another issue:

Here's the background - last week, I noticed Bosco's eye was sticky and he he couldn't open it all the way. I quickly brought him to the vet. She checked his eye and said his cornea was scratched. She put a cone (e-collar) on him so he couldn't rub his eye and prescribed an ointment. She scheduled a follow-up for 5 days later, which was today.

In the meantime, I noticed a few days ago that his penis was hanging out of his body. As soon as I noticed it, I checked it for a fur-ring. I didn't see one but cleaned it all off with soap and water because it had been dragging on the ground and was all dirty. I've been cleaning it every night since then.

Today, we went for the follow-up visit. The eye problem is cleared up, but not the other issue. In fact, I didn't realize how big a problem this can be. I am lucky to have a VERY experienced chinchilla vet (she is the main vet for a nearby chin rescue and there are always other chinnies in the waiting room).

She can't tell exactly what has caused this problem, but suspects that he might have had a fur-ring. She thinks I might have cleaned it off without realizing it. She said all the symptoms match a fur-ring problem, even though she can't see one now. She started by dripping sugar water on his penis. Apparently, it is supposed to help it shrink. (?? really? Anyone ever heard of this??) Then she tried gently guiding it back into his body. It went in - sort of. You could see it was going to come out again. It's kind of like trying to get toothpaste back in the tube :)). She told me to put cold compresses on it to try to shrink it and get it back in. I tried that but had a very hard time getting him to stay still (who can blame him). I don't think it was very effective.

We are going back to the vet tomorrow. He still has to wear the cone around his head because she does not want him to do anything that can increase the swelling and make it worse.

I trust my vet completely - but I'm still curious about others who have had this problem? Is she right in saying it is serious, even though there is no fur-ring on him now? Would it just correct itself over time? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Debbie

Two things come to mind;
1. He is in too swollen in the internal genital area to suck it back in, could be some internal problems.
2. It has been out so long it is swollen/too dry and for some reason he can't or isn't pulling it back in.

I've had a couple of #2, I usually remove the hair ring if there is one, lube it up and leave them be. By the next day they've always rectified the situation.

Either way you should keep it moist/covered in ky jelly or something similar - if it is too dry they have a difficult time getting it pulled back up into the body.

Pain from the teeth can cause the penis to not retract, did the vet look at the teeth since the chin had a eye issue? Eye issues and teeth often go hand in hand.

ticklechin - yes, the teeth were one of the first things she checked when he presented with an teary eye. She said the teeth looked good and then confirmed that the eye problem was caused by a scratch.

How did the vet check the teeth? If the chin was not put under for a oral exam and x-rays the teeth were not checked properly. If a otoscope was only used and the chin was not put under, 90% of the teeth were missed.

The chin was not put under and x-rayed, but truthfully, once she found the scratch on his eye, I am glad she choose to treat this first and see if his eye clears up. Of all my chins, this little guy handles stress the worse and I would hate to have him put under anesthesia if it wasn't needed and the runny eye clears up when the scratch heals.

Forgot I did not finish why I asked about the vet, if your chin is from the above hospital and its Dr. Johnson she may consider doing a purse string suture to keep the penis in, I do believe she has done them before for CAchins, either her or Dr. Nakamura, I just don't remember which vet but it was a rescue chin.

No, I don't go to Adobe. Not sure where that is, but I am in Long Island, NY.

My vet did actually say she might have to resort to doing a stitch to keep it in. I never heard the term purse stitch, (sounds very feminine for the male body part ;-) but it's probably the same thing.

Back