How do I know if my chinchilla is bloated?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinchandChilla

Chinch and Chilla
I'm having an increasingly hard time trying to figure this out. She's always looked really round, so physically she doesn't look different. When I rub her belly she's not . . .jerking away. But now she's making whimper like squeaks, and I think it might be bloat? I don't know what to do!! How do I know this.

if she is pooping well, and eating well, and her energy level is normal, then those are good signs that all is well.

the whimper/squeak could be her contact sound. chins make this sound when they are either content or looking for something/someone/another chin. she may just like her belly being rubbed? is her belly hard and taut or is it kind of squishy? if squishy, then she is probably not bloated at all, but more experienced members will be able to chime in better on this one.

Last edited:
If her stomach feels distended and tight and her poops are few and far between (or non-existent), small and hardened and she is not eating then those are signs of bloat. You also may see her stretching and rolling, pushing her belly to the floor of her cage.

They generally are more lethargic and just not themselves. If memory serves me correctly, you are hand feeding due to her being on medication, am I correct? Did you ever get a diagnoses?

If she is not better then I would take her back to the vet. Stasis and bloat can last quite a long while and you need to be getting at least 60 ml of CC into her daily if not more, several small feedings spaced a couple of hours apart are best for bloat...not huge feedings. I started with 5-10 mls every couple of hours and once my chins start pooping again, I increase the amount at each feeding and space them further apart.

This is an excellant thread on stasis/bloat: http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6553

Stasis is what she was diagnosed with. THe good news, is that he is eating, and her stomach feels squishy. She also is very active, running on her wheel at night and during play time. Jumping around being curious. I will call the vet tomorrow. They are closed today. . .stupid vet.

She has been eating quiet a bit, so I've cut back on the hand feeding.

If your chin makes whimper like squeaks when you rub her stomach, it might be that she is a little gassy. It sounds even more probable especially when she's diagnosed as having stasis. Further along bloat will result in the stretching, rolling and pushing as described by EMSChins. This is from my personal experience so please check with your vet.

If it was my chin, I would continue with the handfeeding until she's clear out of this phase. Stasis takes a long time to recover from and even the chin may look like she's feeling better, there's no telling when they will slip back. Handfeeding will help as the Critical Care has lots of fibre and you give it with water, it's also easily digestible and all of the above will help her to keep things moving. I would also keep up with the exercises and the tummy rubs.

The stomach should not feel squishy, we call that doughy and it means bloat. The stomach should feel toned, not tight when you tap on it it makes a hollow noise and not doughy and squishy. Are you giving the simethicone?

Here is a video of a chin with bloat-note the strange movements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc4GdZoi3GU

She is pooping really well again, which is what I forgot to write. And she's definitely not moving like that. I called the vet today and told them about my worries, and they said that she sounds okay. They told me to continue the medication and probiotics and then take her back for a check up. I gave my other chinchilla a few feels to see what her stomach feels like, because she is very healthy. They feel exactly the same?

Back