Male penis question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elvisthechinchillasmom

Rodent lover!
Good morning to everyone! I'm a new Chinchilla owner, and i'll make a post introducing myself, but I would like to first post this because i'm pretty worried about my little guy. We just got our chin on last wed, so we haven't had him yet a week, but this will be our first boy chin, and on the second day we had him i noticed he was chewing, itching, or just down by his man bits quite a bit, and i thought maybe it might be normal, but i looked it up anyways, and i noticed that males can get a hair ring down there. I read some more about it, and watched some videos, but him being a new guy to us, and is still a bit skittish of us i'm not able to pick up him, and fully check for a hair ring. I've been watching him now for the last couple days, and looking at pictures of a male chin's penis, and it's not looking like it's black and blue, but i also read that it's not supposed to be out, it's supposed to go in the stealth. Well his seems to be out almost all the time, and almost looks like a tear drop shape. Kind of pointed at the end, and fat at the top. He seems to be eating, and I've had him out now twice for floor time, and he's running around wall jumping, and being very energetic. I did make a visit to the local exotic vet for Tomorrow as they are not open today, and he was not in on Friday. I'm just wondering if anyone can tell by what i've posted if he's in need of vet care. I don't mind taking him in, and I will feel a lot better if i do. I'm pretty freaked out, and just looking for some advice. Thank you kindly for your time, and i really hope i posted this in the right spot!

The tear drop shape you're describing almost sounds like the sheath? Perhaps that is what you are seeing, that is always visible. Some chins will let their testicals hang down, especially if they're getting too warm, so you may see that in the future. Males do groom down there. They will also extend their penis and suck it (usually right infront of company, or at the most inopportune moment) ;-)

If you are seriously concerned then you should go ahead and pick him up to investigate. I know that he's new and you want him to adjust, but if you're seriously concerned then this is the only way to figure it out. If you take some pictures and post them we may be able to help you.

Good Luck, and welcome to the wonderful world of chinchillas! :)

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your reply!!! :thumbsup: I can't seem to get a picture of him right now as he's worn out and sleeping from his run this morning lol. But i did find a picture someone else had posted on a website, and this is for the most part what i'm seeing. I'll post it, and i hope this helps, and i really hope to ease my crazy mind! I just don't want to lose our little guy!

Attachments

• dsc_0754.jpg
    dsc_0754.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 86
That is a normal look. When his penis is out of the sheath, you will know it... It is not proportional to body size...

That protuberance you see is called the penile cone. It is from that his penis will emerge for him to clean and for you to perform hair ring checks. JT is correct, his (your chinchilla's) erect penis is not in proportion to his size... ;)

You're so cute Jer. Not proportional. Ha! :)

When his penis is out, it makes men green with envy, trust me. When you actually see it for the first time, it will take you aback. As far as hair ring checks, I do not do regular hair ring checks. If I see someone being overly concerned with the genital area, then I will check, but on the whole no. I would especially not be too panicked about a hair ring check with a single pet chinchilla. The hair ring generally occurs when the male interacts with another chin.

Thank you all kindly for your information! I'm very happy to know that what i'm seeing is normal, and I'm not going to worry about it. I Think i might keep a vet visit for him later this month to check him over. The regular check up is only 30$. I'd just like to make sure he's doing well. When you say cone you're right, that's exactly what it looks like, and i think my little guy is going to be fine. Looking forward to posting around here, and meeting some of you, and your chins! I'm madly in love with my little guy, and have had one before, but she passed away. So i've only had two, but i can find the love for chins to be very addictive! Happy 4th to you all! :)

Back