Not eating pellets and small poo?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. I know back when I fed Oxbow, I noticed a protein percentage change (their bags said 16%, but website said 18%). Sandi contacted them about it and they said the the formula was 18%, but they hadn't updated their bags to show the changes. Looks like the new bags finally do show the change.

I think my bag was a Jan mill date, but it was also a 10lb bag and didn't look anything different. I haven't had any issues but am due to get a new bag probably this week. Great now I'm wondering what I will find when I go to the store.

I get the 50 lb. bags directly from Oxbow. There has not been any change to the way the bag looks, nor with the label on the bag since the protein levels changed on them over a year ago in January of 2010. I don't notice a change in the smell or look of the feed either. What I find interesting is that 3 of my 7 chins are eating more pellets than they normally do while the other 4 are eating the same amount.

Last edited:
There has been a change in ingrediants and percentages from old bag to new bag so I don't know why that would not be considered a formulation change.

There has been a change in ingrediants and percentages from old bag to new bag so I don't know why that would not be considered a formulation change.

I have only purchased the 50 lb. bags and it was over a year ago (01/10) that Stacie and I noticed the change in protein percentage on their labels for the 50 lb. bags. I personally spoke with the quality control manger about it and I had a thread that I started to discuss the discrepancy -

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12648

I have only purchased the 50 lb. bags and it was over a year ago (01/10) that Stacie and I noticed the change in protein percentage on their labels for the 50 lb. bags. I personally spoke with the quality control manger about it and I had a thread that I started to discuss the discrepancy -

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12648

I know Shelly has been a little pig with the last bag I got. Honestly, I didn't think anything of it. Her poops and attitude problem have not changed.

The ingrediant list has changed, things have been added, things have been removed. Not sure how you can call the product exactly the same, its not just the protein % that changed.

What I'm saying is that with the 50 lb. bags that I get from Oxbow, nothing has changed that I can see or smell. Even the label with the list of ingredients has been the same for over a year and a half. I have most of the labels from the 50 lb. bags that I've gotten in my photobucket account because I post them here in my classified ad when I get a new bag. So for at least a year and a half it has been the same formula on the 50 lb. bags that I get. I know nothing about the 5 and 10 lb. new bags that Oxbow has out on the shelves.

Lady's issues started prior to January, so perhaps it's not related to any changes or lack of in the food. Since she's been given a clean bill of health by 2 different vets I'm going to chalk it up to her just being picky, and hopefully I'll see her improve on a new feed.

Gus has been on Oxbow his entire life and he's doing just as well now as he was a few years ago. I don't think it's a problem with product, I'm just starting to think that some chins might be pickier then others?

Last edited:
I don't know if the OP has solved your problems yet? I just wanted to give an update on Lady. Crysta sent me some samples of PSRC and Mazuri, and Lady's in love with the Mazuri. She's eating 2 + tablespoons a day, and I'm cautiously optomistic that this has solved her problems. I haven't supplemented with any critical care in about a week and she's already put 15g on.

I called the vet I'd been working with to explain the situation, and he told me that Oxbow did the same thing a few years ago with their vitamin C tablets. They said they hadn't changed the formula, but the label on the bottle had different ingredients.

I still think Oxbow is a good product. Latte and Gus are thriving on it so Paul and I have no reason to switch them. It's a little annoying to have my chins on different feeds, but what can I say, I'll do anything to make them happy and healthy :)

I'm hoping that Lady continues to do well on the new feed. I guess time will tell.

Latest posts

Back